Affordable seaworthy cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by goodwilltoall, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

goodwilltoall, Luaun ply is crap, and a waste of money. All that luaun is imported and glued with who know what , and the grain orientation stinks , and the layers are different thicknesses. If you want to uses cheap ply . at least stick to Doug fir. or yellow pine. The only thing between you and Davy Jones Locker ,
    is the darn wood. Build it with good enough wood and you can forget about the epoxy.
    But you will use the stinking luaun , just because you think you can . No matter what anyone else says .
    How much is the boat going to weigh? Have you figured that out yet ?

165 gallons of epoxy? what in the world are you going to do with all that ?

Why not make it out of cardboard , and go at it with a chopper gun .

2. frank smith

I was thinking you could just rip down some 2x Doug Fir to say 1 1/2 x 1 3/4 ,and just strip plank the sides. Here I would frame it up completely . It would go fairly fast with a nail gun , and you can get HD gal nails for some guns.The exterior could be sheathed and the inside just painted.

3. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

and you could use existing proper design... with structurally sound dimensions and shapes. And not waste a significant amount of money and time in a boat that sails badly and is not going to last.

4. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

Think about the hull shape again and also think about structural bulkheads and stringers. 50ft. is a little too big for a coffin. Even if it is supposed to float.

5. bernd1972

bernd1972 Holzwurm

Think about the hull shape again and also think about structural bulkheads and stringers. 50ft. is a little too big for a coffin. Even if it is supposed to float.

6. bobnson2003

bobnson2003 New Member

I am new to sailing, like so new I dont even have a boat. I have been doing a lot of research and because I am a novice would like to get something small like 20 to 26 foot trailerable and of course affordable. I like the Macgregor because of the options it has for a beginner. I would not want a 50hp motor though... Dont want it as a motorboat. I am reading a lot of bad things about it so if anyone has suggestions to what might be an alternative.. I am all ears.. I do have a family and my kids know more about sailing then I do.. would like something that has a berth and head ( porti-pottie) due to the size I am looking for.

7. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

bobnson, start your own thread. Many regulars with sensible opinions have abandoned this thread ages ago.

8. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

Bobnson. There are other threads more suitable for you than this one. If you want to sail, get a sailboat not a mac26 which is a compromised motor sailer. I owned a Binks 25 trailer sailer which sailed like a dream and was a real sailboat capable of coastal passages. Try a google search on Binks 25.

9. frank smith

Yes, and those of us with less sensibility would like to keep this thread on track
    until at least the end time, or the next great flood ,which ever comes first .

10. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i went to a wedding the other day, 2 television antennas got married , the ceremony was boring but the reception was terrific.

11. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Finally worked out the calculations and come in at 17,000lbs full. Went in the back and dug two posts 16" deep at each end to get an idea of size. The grade is within 3". Will use double 2x8x16' each side with 2x4 post every 8'-0" with the girders four feet apart.

Will get final drawings and cross section views soon.

Peace.

12. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

pictures of the build are a must!

13. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

adding frames is a good thing
    but generally they are a lot closer than 8ft apart, maybe 2ft or 3ft.
    Girders, do you mean stringers, or sheer clamps? Girders is not a boat term.

At home I have The elements of boat strenght, by David Gerr. In that book it goes into how strong your frames should be, how far apart, and what stength thickness your hull needs to be. If you are serious about your boat, and want it to be strong enough, this tells you everything, there are other books too, it is just that this one I know, price is around 20 dollar mark online

Building the sides in timber, and then having a covering of plywood is ok, or vice versa. An alternate is to put down mulitple layers of timber, say 2 or 3, in different directions.

Epoxy is good, your wood should last longer, and a sheething of more than one layer, (be that fiberglass or plywood) gives it torsional rigidity which is good. That is why with strip planking, fiberglass over strips of wood, it is generally lighter than conventional planks and caulking.

If you are serious about this boat, go to a country close to you, maybe Peru, Mexico, Venezuela, Columbia, and have your boat built there. The cost in travel would be modest.

as an aside, I only come on here occasionally as a bit of light entertainmet.

14. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

good to see this thread back again, how is the ark coming along. when you load it can you leave mosquitos and spiders out , they are really annoying. [just joking] it is an entertaining thread though, just for the fact that people believe there was an ark. if there really was one wouldn't it have been steel, they would have used ark welders.

1 person likes this.

15. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Greetings,

Peter, the girders mentioned are for the strongback which will hold temporary frames for the build. Once they are setup, sheets of ply will go on top and the exact measurements for frame sizes will be had by using a long batten.

The ply will come off (and reused for hull)and frames set upright.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.