Aercraft - Sailer ?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Manfred.pech, Jun 8, 2016.

1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Correction, Doug: might sail. ;)

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Oh ye of little faith....... However, the difference between the two designs exists now.......

3. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Daiquiri - if it is sailing with a windward heel, then the leeward wing is not in ground effect. In fact if it was to provide righting moment at that cant angle it would be working a bit like a backed (sic?) jib.
    So I don't think that is the intention of this machine? As it would be counter productive to have the lee wing vertically inclined then. Or is it meant to heel to leeward? The length of the legs does indicate to me that they are meant for tension.
    If ww wing pulls down though, how does the proximity to a surface affect downward lift?

There was one ( or a sketch somewhere, vague memory) that did what you say: It had one hull, and two slender tall wings set at 90' (cant) to each other. It flipped 90' when tacking, so that the ww wing was the sail and the lw was skimming the surface, indeed probably WIG'ing except for the unfortunate short chord. What would happen to induced drag if these two wings had a continuous transition?

What's with the canard - do they just have a lot of computer skill they want to use? Joking, but still, that thing looks way small to be an aerodynamic pitch control. Maybe it is meant to lift the bow when it crashes into the water?

Odd boat. What if they put the cockpit, pc and battery in a crows nest at the top of the mast maybe would help? Anybody ever heard of a 'fliperoon' or flippoon, something like that?

4. HJS

HJS Member

60+ knots

Here comes my old proposal of 1969. It is sailing with leeward wing in ground effect and the windward wing lifting. Only the centerboard is in the water. It demands the control of the balance as a glider. Take it or leave it. :D

JS

Attached Files:

5. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Yea that's what i meant. Or very similar at least. Did it occur in a book? Somehow I have the notion of seeing it before the internet.
    Did you see the Albatross sketches? They are here on the forum somewhere - Doug, master of amazing boat pics, please, one of your threads maybe?

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

7. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Ah, you are too fast! I am too slow.

8. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

9. daiquiri

Frankly, I am not getting what you are trying to say.
    Looks like your definition of leeward is not the same as mine.

10. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Damn, sounds like a significant obstacle. Is it up, or is it down? That is my question. I think there are conflicting theories in this thread.

Yea, I think you are wrong, look at the way the sails go in the sketches. It's a moth with some more aero foils (wings, jib and the canard).

The lee wing is way straightish into the air, it is not in ground effect if it is vertical?

11. daiquiri

Are you shure? ;)

VRex1.jpg

VRex2.jpg

VRex3.jpg

12. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

Of course not. Look at the jib in your first and last pic. That jib is sheeted on the port side. So, starboard tack. Leeward is upward. It is heeling to windward.

What do you see?

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

VRex

Definitely heeling to windward(Veal Heel). And that is a "free" way to increase righting moment substantially. And it also has other advantages like unloading the daggerboard because the foil develops a component of lift to windward. It lowers the CG of the boat. It may allow them to use water ballast to get started then ditch it to increase speed.
    The aerodynamic power of the crossarm "wings" would be substantial as they go faster.
    I see a lot of potential for the design....

14. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

ditch it? in favor of aerodynamic RM? I don't get it.

I want a ride in it!

15. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

VRex

As they get going and get Veal Heel to the max their RM will go up so they may be able to do without some of the ballast. And I imagine as the aerodynamic surfaces begin to work in combination with Veal Heel no ballast may be required.
    So Veal Heal + Speed = no ballast.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.