Advice anyone...19' mako restoration hull-deck separation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Patrick45, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Patrick45

Patrick45 New Member

Good mornin' 5am and wondering where to begin.
    So I've been waiting for my first boat for about 37 yrs.
    True. Long story of why it took so long to finally even get to this beat on mako.

I'm digging in and want to learn and rebuild her right. 1st issue I'd like to address would be the split between the hull and front deck.. I'll add more photo's later today.. It's about 1/2" at widest gap behind the bumper, but tapers down quickly. It doesn't look like water got in. The hull and floor and transom feel like rock. For a 73 mako I here that's pretty good to start with?

I've been reading about, flipping the lid, or balloons, or bolts and epoxy resin, or a newer bonding agent.

from this small split in the bow, do you think in need to take the whole deck off? What would you guys use the seal this seam up right?

I'll get to the motor later. If anyone's near mystic ct, I'm willing to trade artwork for help, or something. Any boater/fisherman would dig the art.

I'll try to clear the message up more later, just woke up.
    Thanks for ANY advice on my split seam mako. I'll take close ups at lunch I hope I don't need to rip her top off... I'd like completely rebuild her in the future when my $ is better. Now I'll work with about 2g and as many hours I need. Thank You!
    Sempr Fi,
    Patrick

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's possible your deck cap hasn't separated from the hull, but the picture, which doesn't have enough detail, does suggest it taken a shot on the bow and popped the hull/deck cap seam. The easiest way to check this is to remove the rubber or PVC bumper in the middle of the aluminum rub rail and back out a few dozen screws, checking their condition as you go. If you discover a bunch of bent and/or broken fasteners, then it's likely there's been a really good bow impact and the hull to deck joint may be suspect.

The first thing you should do is call a boat carpenter and have him look it over. I've heard it a thousand times, "the hull is solid", when in fact after a pro looks her over, it's got a host of issues that the novice just doesn't catch. It's the same reason hookers stay in business, some things a pro just can do a lot better then the average person . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.