Add Sail to Power Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by sheaftosser, Jul 11, 2008.

1. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Thanks to all for educating me. I've found that the best way to get informed is to say what I think (while respectfully not claiming I know).
    It's all new to me, and very fascinating stuff----- I'm thinking about kites now.

A.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  3. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

There was a quite successful boat developed in Whangarei New Zealand, if I remember correctly it was a modified 36 foot long Spencer designed sailboat with a huge propeller mounted on a fairly short rotating mast and driving through a right angle gear and a two or three to one gearing up box to a traditional propeller and shaft. This boat would sail directly in to the wind, as well as all other points. I dont know what became of it but its only drawback was when "sailing" close to other boats and moorings etc because of the sail propeller's clearance

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Was it this one:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21340&d=1210532338

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  6. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

The Jim Bates boat is the one that I remember seeing, she was a monohull design and there was an article about 15 years ago in one of the boating magazines, possibly Wooden Boat, or it was posibly Popular Mechanics, I suscribed to both at the time and cant remember which magazine the article was in.

7. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

Some guy got a Govt grant and designed Batwings

for cargo ships that retracted into pods on the deck. About 5 in line on a cargo/tanker ship.

He also made a working verision on a small boat. Can't find it online.

I saw it on Kayakfishingstuff.com years ago.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.