About landing crafts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by karayelhb, Sep 15, 2011.

1. luiher

luiher LUIHER

Just awesome!...so simple yet effective design. I cant belive I didnt think of something like that. I civil engineer/contractor and beside the construction business I have a welding shop business where I manufacter steel tanks (from 3k to 100k gallons) for water or any kind of liquids and I didnt see the connection!.

Cant wait to see pictures more pictures of this project soon enought.

Luis

2. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Yes, I'd like to see the pics too! Glad I'm not going to have your fuel bill though...LOL. It's a monster.

The poor OP, wonder where he went? I just realized that his thread was hyjacked, not just once but twice. Sorry!

COR, yours is pretty much my plan but the SOR has changed again. A narrow boat won't take a raised helm over a standing cabin too well, so that means the only about 4 feet of standing headroom and the rest bending and slithering, but that's okay.

3. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

landing craft progress.

She comes along nicely. Deck and landing ramp almost complete. Bow and stern thrusters received, engine, transmission and props, too. Hope to launch in Spring. Local hunt club is building me a pier, almost complete now.

Photos attached.

Ryland

Attached Files:

4. luiher

luiher LUIHER

What kind of engine/transmission models are you installing?

Do you have any set of plans or a layout of your vessel that you can share? I may start working on a landing craft of my own in a couple of weeks but I would like to find out more design guidlines....any suggestion?

Im not looking to compete with the US Navy or anything like that, I can work out the bouyancy and make it structural strong enough but it would be a simple design.

regards from Panama

5. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

I only have a few sketches and calculations, no real drawings or blueprints. The pontoons were drawn on a napkin in a bar, (NAPCAD). I'm fairly well connected in the metalworking business in this region, so with a word, I can get just about anything I need promptly. Heat and beat technology works, but it makes a bug difference to have a couple of lasers and plasma cutters in the 'brotherhood'.

The engine is a Caterpillar 3054C 85 HP. It turns at 2400 rpm a Velvet Drive transmission and a 22" 4 blade prop. These will be constructed in a 'longtail' configuration. The vessel will operate in rivers and semi-protected waters where logs, snags and debris are a certainty. The longtail suits those conditions nicely.

Ryland

6. Rabies

Rabies New Member

28' Plywood Landing craft

Hi Wavewacker....
    Like you I have been searching for plans for a similar landing craft.
    I gave up.

However I have not given up the idea. Here is the story....

I own a small local newspaper. I also live on an Island in Moreton Bay, just off Brisbane (Macleay Island). I regularly need to get to the mainland and to the other local islands. Now, I can use the commercial barges, but it is $100 to the mainland (45 minutes), then I have to drive for 30 minutes, then another $100 (another 45 minutes) then I get to Nth Stradbroke Island (google to see where I live).

So, I have decided I need a barge to transport myself, wife, car and papers when I do my monthly delivery run.

I also want it big enough so that I can live aboard for up to a week. I also want to be able to tow the thing.

28' long, 9 1/2' beam. This gives me a cabin 10' long and 9 1/2' wide, long enough, especially as I will have about 16 - 18' of space once I drive the car off. The car is a Great Wall (Chinese SUV 4WD).

I plan to make it a catamaran type hull, as we can get some nasty chop in Moreton bay.

I did some rough calculations (in metric):

Cat hull Length 8.4m, Depth 1.2m, width .6m

this gives me a displacement of 12 metric tonnes. Allow for 50% of that so that the hulls only 'sink' by half, so that it draws only .6m (2 feet), which gives me a total of about 6 Tonnes.

The plywood comes to 1964 Kg, the car 2280Kg, cargo 475 Kg, misc 500Kg for a total of 5219Kg. Still have over 700Kg up my sleeve.

Easy to build, as it will just be two hulls, tapered bows with a slight deadrise flattening out about half way back.

The deck is also made of ply, but I'll probably have some aluminium stiffening running down the sides and where the wheels rest. Sort of like a big flat box.

The sides of the hulls will extend up to give me some (not sure of the terminology) freeboard, sides .. a wall type thing so you don't fall off - LOL. Anyway, I plan on that being 4' high. I'll be using standard 8 x 4 sheets, you see - so the cat hulls will be 4' deep, but the sides will extend up 4' above.

If I can, I'll attach a quick sketch I just drew up ...

I already have 2 x 75hp old evinrude seahorse outoards from a sharkcat that I already own. I have nooo idea if these will allow me to plane with cargo & car on board, but I don't care, as it will be faster and easier than the stuffing around that I have to do now. Pretty sure it will plane without the car. I have a 250cc motorbike (Yamaha Virago), which I can also use if I want - should plane with that too.

Main thing that concerns me is center of gravity and/or center of balance. This will definitely change around with the car on board. I have been thinking about using fuel to balance this out, by having 2 tanks. When no car on board, pump fuel to forward tanks, with car, pump to rear tanks. But this would be guesswork initially.

Now for my wacky idea. I am into flying radio control gliders, so know quite a bit about airfoils. Hydrofoils are very, very similar. I am considering putting 2 hydrofoils on. One aft, one forward. I would have an 'elevator' on the aft one (actually the whole foil will tilt), this will give me about 50% lift, which should ensure planing at all times. I know I'll have troubles with the height of the outboards, but one thing at a time...

I'll most likely build the hulls, then the deck. I'll then 'temporarily' attach the deck and fabricate a makeshift ramp. This is so I can to a test with the car on board for balance, etc. Fortunately, I live on an Island! So I can run the monster up to a local bay, put it in (the water is usually pretty calm and flat), then drive the car on and see what happens. I'll do it at low water so I don't loose the lot if something goes wrong.

With that data, I'll then build the cabin - 10' long by 8' wide - leaving a narrow 250mm (10") walkway around the sides. Eventually I'd like to have a flybridge on the roof of the cabin, I also have a small crane with a 125Kg lift capacity (for the motorbike), which I could mount somewhere. Heh heh, I might even Aircondition the cabin ... but we'll see.

Construction will be with epoxy and what we in Australia call 'batten screws'. They are a countersunk screw, with a sunken hex drive in the head. You can get 308 grade pretty damn cheap here. I know it's not marine grade, but I'll only be using them where they are not exposed to seawater.

I was planning on using a superior grade of builders glue (comes in a long tube) which sticks to anything - and never lets go - It is called sikabond (waterproof and will stick to metal, wood, glass, concrete and is chemical resistant) to glue and screw it all together, with glass and epoxy tape to strengthen it where required, corners, joins, etc.

I'm not going to fiberglass the whole thing. Why bother? Plywood is much stronger than fiberglass - and plywood floats!

The hulls will be 17.5 mm (just over 5/8")thick on the bottom (formply) and the rest will be 12mm (1/2") ply.

I'll leave the ramp until I can actually see what I have to deal with - But I don't anticipate too many problems. The general idea is a hybrid - part full width ramp, part aluminium car ramps (if I need extra length).

Generally speaking, I'll be coming ashore at boat ramps, so I don't have to worry too much about beaches, but I think it will be OK.

Best thing is the price - I guess between $7500 to $10,000 (Australian), including everything except motors, which I already have.

Attached Files:

7. WetTruck

WetTruck New Member

Most minimul landing craft

Hey Wavewacker, did you ever settle in on a boat design? Here's a boat I built that has some if the qualities you're seeking. It breaks down to fit in the back of the truck. I have a narrower version that's trailerable without disassembly, but can't tolerate a vehicle wider than 49". I can probably dig up some more photos and perhaps some video if it's of interest to you.

Let's see if the attachment sticks. (First post)

Ron

Attached Files:

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Hi Ryland,
    I remember seeing your posted photos for the cylindrical pontoons for your vessel back earlier in this subject thread, and I transferred one of them over to a 'retirement houseboat' subject thread.

Then I lost track of your project as I went onto other boating subjects. I recently came back to that original photo of yours thru a link I had provided, as I was wondering how your project was getting along. I read thru the remainder of this subject thread, but then your project disappears again.

Where are you with the project?? ...provide some additional links??

And I believe I read something about your not being marine knowledgeable? How and what do you know about Thai longtail propulsion systems? I spend part time in Thailand and have seen a number of them....posted a number of photos on this forum somewhere.
    I look forward to your updates as I am again looking at 'floating home' options for both Thailand and USA.

9. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Aw yes, here is that original posting of yours with the hulls just delivered.
    May I ask where you got the hulls built? They look very similar to some steel hulls used on a number of floating rafts here in Thailand, ..even down to the pointed ends designs.

10. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

River boat progress

The vessel comes along nicely. I added a third pontoon to increase deck capacity and reduce the draft. We have been busy installing bilge pumps, AC and DC electric systems, AC and DC lighting, and just installed a 4000 lb deck crane. The second Caterpillar powered generator is installed below and lifts from the hold with hydraulics. The landing ramp is installed and functional. I have finished fabricating the wheel house and the space below housed the head, a diesel powered incinerating unit. This week I expect to have both anchor delivery and retrieval systems in place. (Two 100lb. Danforths), one forward and one aft. Both the bow and stern thrusters are in place. I have received the hydraulic equipment to control these and the anchor winches.

I'll take some photos this week and post them here.

Ryland

11. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

Landing craft photos

I took some photos today of the vessel in progress.

Ryland

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. cor

cor Senior Member

The vessel looks like a lot of fun. I can't wait to see it afloat.

What is the yellow structure that can be seen in the background of the photo of the crane base?

C.O.

13. rfleet1066

rfleet1066 rfleet1066

background

In the background is my laboratory complex. That's another story entirely. That structure was my first attempt at architecture, as this vessel is my first boat build project. I will attach a couple of photos of the lab.

Ryland

Attached Files:

14. jmahoney266

jmahoney266 New Member

Anchors Aweigh- Converted Navy Landing Craft

I haven't completely cover your posts yet but I am glad to see some discussions about Navy Landing Craft. I recently obtained a Retired Navy LCM3 which the conversion was already well underway. I am looking for more info on the vessel and some of it's Navy history.

Attached Files:

15. jmahoney266

jmahoney266 New Member

LCM3 customized

I have a LCM3 built in 1985 by Marinette Marine for the US Navy. After retirement she was revived and customized into a trawler of sorts...I would like to get some of its navy history to keep with the vessel. She has a pair of 871N's with 28 in. Props. On her maiden voyage under her own power she did 6 knots burning about 2 gl/hr. Current weighs in at 49 tons. Drafts 30". Have seen another like it yet. We have been living aboard since purchased a little over a year ago.

20140721_093511.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.