About a floating island which the bottom is similar to barge.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kilbysg, Feb 12, 2008.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Same/same, in 40 ft containers make sections 39 ft long or less and mounting girders to run across. You as an engineer should be able to do the rest. Otherwise look at the methods of making floating marina fingers of concrete covered foam. - It is common technique here in Aus & fairly long lived...

2. kilbysg

kilbysg Junior Member

And you know what??? This sections will be bolted inside... There will be no welding works when these sections mate. Yeah, you are right, i need to do the rest...and still I have to be more resourceful because there is still an irregularity of the design unlike with the other marine vessels which already has a common hull shape and structural membrane...

:) :) :)

3. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Send the consulting check care of Masalai, Buderim, Queensland AU.

1 person likes this.
  4. kilbysg

kilbysg Junior Member

Thanks kay9, i will do that after defining some parts and i will let masalai check it.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

I'm cheap, just regular brownie points in the "Post Feedback" pop up :D (dont forget to sign it so a reciept can be issued...:D

Thanks K9 ::::: to you too... Hope the cheque is in the mail - will cheque now:D

6. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

One idea that came to me is - make the hull sections the same floor area as containers, but stacked 2 or 3 high to standard container height, with the same cargo attachments - out of steel, so the "container is the hull", Then instead of the cost of carting steel boxes around with other fibreglass boxes inside, just cart the hulls around as containers.
    You could have attachable fibreglass shells to cover the locking mechanisms when they are in the water to prevent fouling, and others that sit on top to act as decks and keep the sun off the steel, like the pontoons mentioned befors
    Might work!

7. masalai

masalai masalai

rwatson, methinks "davids chances may be better - he has only 80 miles? to go in a nearly broken alloy tri/try......

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Sorry - what are you talking about?

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

You might want to look at the artist renderings of the US Navy's "Seabasing" concept, just for some different ideas.

I think a few articles and pdf's describe how they could be built.

10. masalai

masalai masalai

Sorry RW, mind temporarily in a confused state. Containers as in "shipping" type are not light nor really appropriate for continuing immersion if longevity is necessary. but with cheap "used" containers, fill with foam, weld on connecting plates so they can be bolted together. This would give a couple of years use at minimal cost & ease to repair/replace at around $600 each plus "foam" and welding on the connecting plates ready to be bolted together.. to almost any size desired...?

11. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Fair enough - standard containers would be dreadfull things to try to float.
    What a really said though was "container sized"
    I also said they would be stacked (2 or 3 high) to "container height".
    I didnt say they were containers.

But if you built your own "containers" (to ISO measurements) , with smooth sides and efficient weight loads, with appropriate loading strengths (probably similar to what you would need to bolt them together) - you might manage the trick.
    I assume (maybe wrongly) is that as long as the outside envelope is ISO, and appropriate anchor points are there, you can have any type of material. You might even just need to have a heavy duty frame to hold the components together. Any boat hull you build will be very robust and resiliant to the elements, which is not often the case of what goes inside containers, so it doesnt need heavy steel protection like cars and whitegoods.
    Used containers are only cheap because they are approaching the end of their life, so they need replacing more often
    Also, weight is charged for, so reducing the tonnage would be usefull.
    Also, when you get the containers to the floating site - where do you store them, cheaply?
    In theory, it should be possible to create a floating platform made up of standardised modules that can be transported and charged the same as containers.
    Isnt theory great :)

12. kilbysg

kilbysg Junior Member

Would tell me the link of what you did said about the US Navy's "Seabasing"?

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

do a search in the forum - look for "post".

Or try Google.com

Some of the best information and images are in powerpoint and pdf's found doing a Google search.

I'd use the phrase: US NAVY SEABASING

14. kilbysg

kilbysg Junior Member

What is the standard on designing or making the grove for O-ring?

Here I am again my senior Naval Architects.
    I'm here to ask how much is the excess part of the O-ring should be from the face of the metal? Is there a standard for designing the grove?
    Since I mentioned before that my floating island is divided into sections and these will be bolted on the water, and I am using the O-ring seal so that the water won't penetrate easily and prevent the water coming inside the holes for the bolts.
    Please check out the file I attached in this post.

Thanks

Attached Files:

15. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Yes there are standards, and no, that is not the way to do it. Use flat faces and a trim in place gasket material.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.