6.5m Trimaran

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by VanIsleSailor, Jul 4, 2006.

1. VanIsleSailor

VanIsleSailor New Member

Hi All,

I am looking at building a 6.5m trimaran using beach cat hulls as the outer hulls. Possibly off a Nacra 20. The goal is to end up with something like this: http://tricat.free.fr/diap22sport/photo7.htm I'm also considering using the rig as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of conversion or feedback? Would beach cat hulls work for outer hulls?

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi, if you are intending a lightweight day sailor as the 22 foot Tricat in your link, your choice of Nacra 20 hulls and rig would be a near perfect choice.
    The issues become then (1) The design of centre hull. (2) Design of cross-beams, and whether you buy tubes in aluminium or carbon fibre. (3) The design of foils for the centre hull. Personally I wouldnt use the daggerboards that come with the Nacra hulls, as you would be better off with a new larger single one in the main hull.
    What is your design experience, are are you getting professional help? :)

3. VanIsleSailor

VanIsleSailor New Member

Hi Frosh,

Thank you for your response. I am definitively looking for a lightweight day sailor and I am open to all options. I really do not want to design anything myself so paying for a professionally designed center hull would be desirable, pending it was cost effective.  Any ideas what this would cost? Suggestions?

I am thinking about using the Nacra rig aswell and purchasing carbon tubes over aluminum. I have read that a dagger board on the central isbetter than dagger boards on the outer hull.

My overall goal is to have a fast, easy to manage and reliable trimaran. Something 1-2 people can sail. I do not like the fact that cats capsize so easily. Folding hulls would also be desirable for trailering purposes.

Thanks again!

4. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Refining the design parameters.

Hi, you still need to get some of your ideas into detail. Firstly, is there going to be any accomodation in the main hull at all? Is high performance a main priority or just something down the list. How do you want to construct the main hull. Hard chine will be aesthetically awful married up to the very slick rounded Nacra hulls. Go for round bilge to match the style of the Nacra.
    In wood (which is your best option for a one off hull) there are a few options.
    Do you know what they are, and the method roughly for each style of construction for a round bilge hull in wood?
    What do you mean by aluminium over carbon tubes?
    What beam overall are you thinking about?
    Folding crossbeams are very tricky, fixed beams are easiest. You might be able to do a telescoping beam, within a beam.
    Are you going to definitely trail the boat?
    Demountable beams and outer hulls is another option but very time consuming.
    I don't know a suitable designer, but you might pay a few thousand for a one off design from a reputable multihull designer.
    Are you paying to buy a Nacra 20? If so, the whole exercise might cost more than getting a plan for the whole trimaran and building from scratch.
    There are a lot of decisions to make before you even spend the first dollar. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.