50ft Fast Cruiser

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Fil49er, Oct 24, 2013.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Also to consider is that modern boats are energy hungry. A modern 50 footer with electronic gizmos, power sail handling.....could easily consume 500 amp hours of dc each day.

There is no other solution to stored energy other than batteries. Heavy and bulky.

Light weight boats have a hard time with this problem. The only way to deal with this weight problem is to chop lead off the keel bulb , then make the draft deeper. In the Med the magic number is 4 meters. Never deeper

One of the most elegant details on the modern speedsters is a cockpit covering bimini that folds into the superstructure when not used.

This detail needs to be addressed at the design concept stage.

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

1) must add seating for the helmsman, and it needs to be comfortable for long durations.
    2) no fast cruiser is going to accept a boat without a traveler. This type of arrangement is ok for dedicated cruisers, but anyone who is making the tradeoffs for speed won't accept a boat without one.
    3) I don't see a backstay. Again this is something that is going to be pretty much required on this type of boat.
    4) the cockpit looks pretty poorly laid out. It is both very constrained, and the sailing gear doesn't look very functional. As mentioned adding a person to the renderings may help.
    5) asymetric spinnaker is becoming very common for this type of boat. You might want to look into a retractable bowsprit, or a fixed prod for one.
    6) English translations of the brochures.
    7) where are the driver visible instruments going to be mounted?
    8) while I love open transoms, in this design it just looks like forgotten space. If it is intended for deck chairs, or sun bathing that's fine. But include some detail on how that will work, do the chairs have to be put away underway or can they be fixed in place and used under way.
    9) Biminie layout, even if it is collapasable under way is necessary for much of the Carribean, I don't know about the Med.
    10) comment 2,7, and 9 could all be solved by adding a traveler arch, and having a retractable bimmine recess into it. I haven't seen it done before, but Hunter has an integrated bimminie and traveler.

I can't comment about systems since I can't read the details. But as Michael mentioned large battery capacity and a generator is almost required in this type of boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.