4 Wheel Drive Boat - looking for builder

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by PlaningWheel, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

I would have thought that since it had been done before the patent would be diminished as well, or I guess you may have a 'detail' that may be patentable

2. yodani

yodani Senior Member

Just been in the Delta and had the chance to photograph the machine my friend uses for reed cutting here it is... There are many versions of that

Attached Files:

• SEGA.jpg
      SEGA.jpg
      File size:
      543.5 KB
      Views:
  3. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Interesting video. If the water is not very deep, could this be a hydroplaning effect across the surface? Or is this akin to skipping a rock across the surface of water?

P.

4. portacruise

portacruise Senior Member

Here's what can happen after a measured distance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW30DvRQhGE&feature=related

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Diminished yes, but not void. When I compare the efficiency advantage (2X) of a hovercraft at speed to that of a boat at speed, I think most in this forum either don't believe it or just fall asleep.;)

Hovercraft skirts are not too happy with sharp broken edgy ice, deep grass and various waves including those short choppy type.

I'd like to see the paddle craft work on any of the above terrain as well.:cool:

6. RonL

RonL Junior Member

Weight distribution and loss of power in the ATV.

The video of the jeep shows far more Physics at work, than 98% of the people that watch it, will ever consider or understand.

Ron

7. PlaningWheel

PlaningWheel Junior Member

Round planing surfaces don't work. There's only one small band on the wheel where the planing angle is correct (about 5 degrees for optimum lift to drag for a planing hull). As you can see in the video the ATV quickly starts to create bow waves on all 4 wheels.

Here's my other boat it does run with a 5 degree angle of attack; but optimum in this case might be less?

http://www.waterwheel.rotoquad.com/diskboat.html

Tow tested once so far with 24" back disk and 16" front disks on a simple framework. It performed as predicted (lifted out quickly and planed along) but broke on the first turn. I intend to rebuild it a little stronger after I test the 4 wheel drive version.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.