4 missing off Florida coast

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rasorinc, Mar 1, 2009.

1. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

News today that 4 men in a 21' center consul boat are missing some 50 miles out in the gulf. Warm water but no radio messages. 2'-3' waves growing to 7' NOW if that boat has 100% flotation and all 4 have class1 or 2 PFDs all should be well. Did they not take a radio??????????????????????????????
    Storms you can see and run, Wind is just apon you and slows your run to port way down and can make it impossible. Lets hope for the best as the water is warm, but all should take heed of this learning lesson. Know you own abilities and your boats' and always carry a radio and Coast Guard approved PFDs..AT THE VERY LEAST.....................Your greatest safety devise is between your ears. Let us all wish them well.

2. billyc

billyc ASCboards Shaper,Glasser

gods speed to those lost.
    its been blowing hard in the gulf. it whipped up to 30knots last couple of dayz.
    bouys were pumping 5'-9' which is head high to over head waves at the beach.
    worst thing about the gulf is it turns into a zero visability,washing machine in 5 minutes without warning.
    simply pointing the bow into the wind doesnt work in the gulf.the huge chop refraction generated from the wind makes side shore rogue waves that converge and swamp the boat from the sides.if your not ready for this,possiblity of separation from the craft is high.
    i know in santa cruz california we have to have two radios now.i dont know what floridas laws are..
    water is warm,wind is laying down,hope they got thos pfd's on in time

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Yes, it's always sad if something like that happens. Had a similar thing here in Dec off CT. 15 drowned and CT has cold water. I was going tuna fishing but the skipper said no ways, 40kn winds stay home, yet these guys went out. The life jackets washed out, so no one was wearing them.

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

I sure wish more would chime in here. It is a matter of education and defeating macho and helping to remind the uninformed how serious an error of judgement can be. Going up the Rougue river in Oregon called the mailboat rides in large ribs with 3 ford clevland 300hp jets when they came to a 8"-10" rapid all life vests had to be worn and the water was 8" deep and no wind. Help to warn the uninformed. God, I hope those 4 had vests on but I wonder if they even had them aboard and their 50 miles offshore.

5. jksoft

jksoft Junior Member

6. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You remember the Magnum PI series (sure you do). In one of the episodes Magnum lost his surf board when almost ran over by a boat. No life jacket he had to tread water that day and the following night, then got resqued the next morning. Well, this was the movies.

I actually tried treading water for a couple of minutes (when the wife wasn't looking :rolleyes:) and I have to admit it was scary. Try it yourself, then while the going is good, imagine rough water, wind, spray. The first 10 mins was ok, after that you could try to lie on your back, which won't work in the ocean. In an hour's time you arms would be numb from effort and hypothermia would set in if the water is warm. Downhill from there.

I put on the life jacket then, it preserved body heat where it covers and one need a LOT less energy to stay afloat.

Ok, I didn't try to see how long I could make it on the life jacket, it could be hour's. A friend told me he was capsized in rough weather, said you can drown with the life jacket on, he almost did. Moral here is check weather before you go.

7. dockdave

dockdave Junior Member

50 miles in a 21' boat- no EPIRB- Just flat out poor decision.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

One has been recovered so far . . .

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

The one saved said all were wearing flotation. Also they were all at the boat untill 11pm or 2am Sunday night. boat flipped while at anchor--sure hope it was not off the transom, At anchor in wind driven chop is human error. I have seen dozens of boats sunk in 2-2 1/2 foot chop in Lake Tahoe while tied off at the bow. Why did they not tie themselfs together and to the floating boat I will never know. In looking at the rescue of the guy in the boat I thought to myself would it have been possible for 4 men in good shape and 200lbs plus to right that boat? It is just so sad and a loss for no other reason than human error. Hell I learned to stay with a floating boat in Boy Scouts 55 years ago earning my rowing merit badge. Does anyone know if this area is a shark area? I wish them well but it is not looking good for the 3 not found.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

that area is thick with sharks
    mostly blues and tigers but plenty of others as well
    night hunters mostly
    we should all keep them in our prayers
    as has been pointed out
    if they stick with the floating hull they have an excellent chance in warm water

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

If anyone finds out what type and rating the PFDs they were wearing had, please post it. God I hope it wasn't cheap ski vests our of soft foam but even those had straps they could have tied themselves together. I apologise, but this just makes me sick.

12. PAR

Here in sunny Florida this is an unfortunately common occurrence.

It's very unlikely they could have righted the boat. The engine and outdrive package is about 1,000 pounds alone.

13. billyc

billyc ASCboards Shaper,Glasser

it was dark.i wonder if they were anchored in shallow water off a reef when the swell came in and they didnt realize the waves were going to break over the reef.
    kinda like how cortez does.
    ive been giving boat and board lessons for alotta years now,im sayin the chances of three XXXL high end pfds on the boat prolly wasnt happening.
    hope im wrong.these guyz still have a chance

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

even if capsized they should stay with the boat
    its there best shot
    the water is warm
    if the seas are even relatively calm
    they can haul out on the overturned hull
    they could still be ok
    if they stick with the boat

lets hope for the best
    B

15. PAR

Now that they've found one, the search pattern just got a whole lot smaller, so they should have better luck Tuesday, if they've managed to survive. Considering the amount of time past since the incident, the odds are not in their favor. Maybe they're dangling off their PFD's, but frankly after tomorrow, it'll turn into a recovery, not a rescue.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.