~3m Power trimaran design, 8 Hp

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ASM, Aug 26, 2008.

1. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Hello all guys,

As some of you have seen before, I like the trimaran designs (which are almost non existing in The Netherlands) and have started some threads regarding those type of vessels. The faux trimaran (displacement 9 m) with a lot of help from Rick and the question of suspended outriggers on a trimaran. The displacement one is in a model building phase, cutting by CNC.

But, as my garage is not big enough and my building skills close to zero, I would like to start off with a small trailable power trimaran, ~20+ knots with minimal amount of outboard power. The design goal/base would be:

http://www.amorousmarine.com/portfolio.php?boatId=15
    Which proves that it is possible, and the looks of:

http://www.amorousmarine.com/portfolio.php?boatId=16

Furthermore, it needs to cary 1 person and occasionally a passenger, easy to build in plywood (later on maybe foam cored), so outriggers similar and symmetrical (?, or one completely vertical flat surface on the outside face), and clean flat sides/lines like the Wally power style....

Would this be possible ? would there be big no-no's in this dream ?

2. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Hi, I do love also power trimarans, but do you think it's worth all the work for a 3 meters 8 HP boat? A small doris would be lighter, simpler, cheaper and probably as fast for a 3 meters boat.

3. ASM

ASM Senior Member

I do agree with you but as for so many techincal stuff in life, new things and good looking things are attractive. PLus I feel stability is better in a trimaran compared to a dorry and the 8 Hp was a goal back then, basically I would like to end up with electric version. Kinda like he next step from waterscooters to elec. trimaran as a watertoy.

4. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

No it's not feasible and has no meaning.

5. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Ilan

not feasible and no meaning... for some of us that is the trigger to proove it does work..... what are your statements for this conclusion ? Battery power/weight ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.