3D hull and equipment models from the internet

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by archnav.de, Jan 16, 2004.

1. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

Hi Cian, Jeff, Gary,

I think we can install a simple way to distribute 3d-models and documents direct via boatdesign.net.

All we need is a special gallery called "Documents and 3D-Models". We could make a jpg from the models or the documents and attach the necessary files.
    From my point of view a 3d-viewer is nice to have but not essential.

For AutoCAD .sat (Version4.0) and for a lot of other CAD-systems .x_t should also be a valid file extension.

But be aware, the main problem is, to update the documents and models. So overall I prefer the distribution via the websites and .pdf-files of the suppliers.

Regards

Bernd

Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. Cian Groves

Cian Groves Junior Member

Hi Archnav,
    I did forget about autocad (I don't use it for 3d modelling, only 2d detailing) so .sat files would need to be included for autocad users. The .x_t files (parasolid file type) I haven't used much either as most people have asked for .step & .iges/.igs from me (just my personal experience).
    There are however various file converters on the web which can convert between the various file formats for free.
    I do also agree with you on gettting models that are correct as per manufactures specifications, so there is risk using a model that you haven't built yourself (downloaded from the web). But many marine suppliers aren't willing to hand out their models and so a user based model library could be an option.
    Updating a model could be a problem, but you have supplied various models in your previous threads, I imagine they will be an as is where is basis and you won't be updating them.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
    Cian

3. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

Hi Cian, Gary, Jeff, all

I have install a first example, how to distribute 3D Models and Documents via the boatdesign.net gallery.

Look at:

http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2555/

From my point of view only 3 items are missing:

1. Management of attachments, similar to forums (the data are now on the archnav-server)

2. .sat and .x_t should also be valid file extensions ( see the above comments)

3. An extra gallery for "Documents, Drawings and 3D-Models"

Best regards, your further comments are welcome

Bernd

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Thanks Bernd, Cian, Gary,

I think this is a good idea, and after looking into the linkage between drawing file and thumbnail and working with it a bit this morning on a test server, I think it will actually be easier than I thought to implement. If no unforeseen problems develop, I just need to review all the scripts for potential errors - my goal is to have the addition in place by early next week.

Thanks again, as always, for the excellent ideas.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cian Groves

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for looking at this, I hope all members get behind it and I look forward to contributing.

Cheers,
    Cian

6. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

:) :) :)

7. henrikb

henrikb Senior Member

3D human....

I think I have seen it in a thread somewhere, can't find it now... :confused:
    Anyone knows where to find a 3d of a human body or similar? Rhino or compatible.

8. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

9. Cian Groves

Hi Hendrik,
    all according to what you wish the figure for (ergonomics or rendering), but I have found poser as a good bit of software for figures. There is plenty of info on the web for reference, it's quite inexpensive & easy to use. The models can be exported as obj files with textures attached out of poser straight into rhino.
    If you need an example just give me a few details and I'll see what I can do (e.g male/female, youth/adult, standing/seated etc).

Cheers,
    Cian

10. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

Hi Jeff,

thank you very much to give us the possibility to upload 3D models, documents and drawings via Boat Design Gallery. I hope a lot of users will test the new approach.

From my point of view it is not necessary to differ between 3D CAD and 2D CAD. You need just to look at the thumbnail.

Cheers

Bernd

11. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

Hi Jeff,

please tell me how did you manage to produce the rendering form the harken block 003? I did not deliver any image, was it done automatically?

Is only one file type per item possible ?

Cheers

Bernd

12. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

No I'm afraid not - I do not know how to automatically generate thumbnails from the cad files on the server yet so I simply created it manually :)
    Currently yes - only one format per upload - an obvious limitation...

13. Cian Groves

14. archnav.de

archnav.de Senior Member

Tecma

Hi Chain,

The direct link to the download page is:

http://www.tecma.net/nautica/downloads.html

But never the less these .igs surface files are much too large and not very useful as a part of a complete 3D ship model.

At least they should published the models as solids in .stp, .sat or .x_t.

The other 3D online possibilities are very impressive (3D-View, CAD-Tree, Bill of Matrials, Annotates).

Cheers

Bernd

15. Cian Groves

Hi Bernd,
    Thanks for correcting the link.
    As for model file type being iges, I don't see a problem. A iges file will contain surfaces of the model, and a stp, sat or x_t will also contain the same surfaces but with them joined to make a solid. File sizes can be different due to compression of each file type, but data in them is the same.
    In the end a solid is but a multiple amount of surfaces joined to form a watertight body.

Cheers,
    Cian

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.