35' cat concept for the inside passage.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alik

Alik Senior Member

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Are you length restricted?

Same accommodation area but on longer hulls generally increases efficiency and load carrying ability.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Not really Saba just thinking it would be nice to park the thing cheap. So I was wondering about a mooring. I like that no ones gong to raft up against my light as I could possibly build it boat with some 100 ton steel barge. That and I wouldn't have people walking past my windows at all hours of the morning. I'd use an electric launch to get back and forth so I wouldn't bother anyone myself. Cause I do tend to keep some pretty late hours.

Mooring would be fine by me. As long as it wasn't to far out and in good calm water.

soooooooo
    what did you guys think of the layout ? I'm still struggling with it so its probably going to change a lot by the time its the way I'd want it.

I might try and move the forward deck forward some and see if I cant fit the beds under there somehow.

Does going to 40' screw up my chances of getting into a slip, I'd keep it at 17'6" beam if it helps. I'd just be concerned about parking fees. Deal is I used to own a pile of horses. Boats remind me of horses in that its not the initial purchase cost, but all the peripheral stuff that drives you under. Costs the same to shoe a good horse as it does a bad one, same with parking a boat.

plan B at 40' and 17'5" beam
    doesn't have enough seating.

[​IMG]

4. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Didn't notice this in your first post

I guess it's best to rain on your parade now before you start cutting wood...

-can you pass the CG's requirements to be licensed?
    -can you get insurance on a self built charter boat?

Some of these forms have years and number of days at sea..the biggies are:

-approved license application form (CG-719B)
    -appropriate sea service form (CG-719S)

http://www.labor.state.ak.us/research/dlo/charter.htm

Forget about doing it in BC,I'm sure it has to be registered,imported,and taxed.

5. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Looks at marina with all the 30, 40, 50 ft cats in it
    Looks at all the 30, 40, 50 ft cats being built
    Looks at post
    Laughs :p

6. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Something tells me drawings will be an issue and at least over here, the shed and building area needs to be ticked off as well.

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Burst away, but if it's being done then there's got to be a way for a newbe to start. Its one year to get your captains license, According to Mark who's unfortunately no longer on the forum. Something about telling Jeff to go fly a kite. Then you can take out a six pack in whatever will pas a coast guard inspection. I seem to remember him saying for that rating its not so hard to get approval. I don't think that includes any kind of approved prints. Just has to pass inspection. I'd never build anything unless I was going to have an actual N/A draw it up all nice and perfectly the way they'd want it.

My question about mooring fees is not intended to imply there aren't a lot of marina's catering to this style and size boat. Probably bigger, what I'm curious about is the cost of parking. If a mooring is cheaper, and whats it cost for a 35 and say a 39'10". Rumor has it they bump up the costs every ten feet or so.

Reminder, I'm just toying with the idea, I have some time off during the holidays and I found myself with this damn pencil stuck in my hand. Drawing pencil, you perv.

Anyway if you read from the word go some of the layout starts to make sense. Floor plan C again at 40' has better seating, sleeps 6 and bad dining arraignments, I could fix that but then folks in the first three seats end up climbing all over each other to get out.

[​IMG]

8. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Just to be clear, since you specifically brought it up Dan, the problem in that case was that he persisted in giving other members Negative Rep with the Post Feedback without leaving a constructive comment which upset other members -- when you click "post feedback" it specifically says "If you disapprove, you must leave a constructive comment on what is wrong with the post that can help the poster to improve. Note: all comments are logged and must follow forum rules.". When complaints came in about people getting negative rep on posts with comments such as $dasfjhds (over a dozen), he was specifically warned to please follow that rule, twice, and base feedback on the content of the post not to attack another member, but he instead continued to leave negative reps without leaving any constructive comment. I'm sorry that it worked out that way as I did enjoy many of his boating-related posts, but if someone is determined to spend their time starting fights or attacking other members, this is not the place. Anyway, I don't mean to take your thread off topic as it's a good thread, and I won't go on further, but since you brought it up I felt a need to clarify.

9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

My goofy sense of humor getting me in trouble again. I remember what happened and that marks response to being asked to please respect the rep system was a bit less than acceptable.

So no worries, but he was damn entertaining in a twisted kinda way. He was however a tour boat captain out of Homer AL. which was of particular interest because he had so much good advice about getting started up there.

Anyway nice to see you following along, hope your finding it a fun exorcise.

Cheers
    B

10. WestVanHan

11. WestVanHan

Typically that's what they do but most charge by the foot...but I'm not sure as I own my own slip, and when away I haven't overnighted at a dock for maybe 10 years.

I suggest emailing AK marinas

12. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Yes, threads like this starting with a concept sketch and SOR are great fun to follow along as the idea is developed and fleshed out, analogous to the concept stage of a build thread. It should be an excellent thread. Thanks.

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

other than the fire place and the nice cushy chairs up forward I'm not really thrilled about any of the layouts.

I'm going to bring it back down to 35' and start again with the interior

14. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Bit of a hands and knees job to get across though.

15. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Id still move the cabin house off center. An asymetric layout. Living in a cat hull is like living in a cave. By shifting the cabin house to one side you would gain an " open " , roofless, natural light fillled hull cabin or galley sharing the cabin house on one side . better working space and a wider deck on the opposite side for easy docking and toy storage .

A cruiser will always be full of toys...bikes , logs for the wood stove and what not, plus you will always be fixing stuff . Perhaps a work bench, shop space under an extended awning on the wide deck side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.