29 mirage by fairline to sailboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bad Decisions, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Bad Decisions

Bad Decisions New Member

Powered by an old GM inline 6 with omc 165 outdrive. Will never plane and i dont care.

i stay in protected waters so safety in not issue or money talk or neg nelly's in general.

I want to throw some hobie cat hulls on the sides and a mast up to catch some wind. Dont want to win america's cup!

Will such a set-up upwind? how far forward to place mast?

That's all i ask for now.

Thank you in advance

2. Bad Decisions

Bad Decisions New Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You don't need outriggers (cat hulls) unless you put a rig from a 40' yacht on it.

No you'll never get upwind with that boat, just too much windage, drag and lacking appendages to get much past a beam reach. This said you can go down wind with a top speed of 5 MPH if you're lucky (no kidding). Use a rig from a Catalina 22 or something similar like a Hunter 25. Of course it'll look silly as hell, but hey, you'll be saving fuel and able to take a fairly big powerboat places for free. The sail can also be used to "steady her down" under certain considerations. Personally, I think it's an expensive contrivance that has limited return, but I don't have to live with it.

4. Bad Decisions

Bad Decisions New Member

Thank you for replying

I thought the outrigging for stopping sideways drift? AS the the outriggers would have skegs or slide in keel type daggers. As for cost, I can grab full mast(36 ft with 11 ft boom and stays and halyards and 2 winches, oh and adjustable deck mounted base plate) for 600 bucks. 300 for 16ft hobie hulls. raggy sails are easy enough to come by. compression post down below.

I fish or party downwind and motor home or better the other way around lol.

BUT ARE YOU CERTAIN NO UPWIND? This i can not wrap my head around.

MORE PLEASE?

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yep, you're screwed going up wind. A dissertation on sailboat hydro and aerodynamics isn't best carried out here, but again, you haven't a shot at up wind sailing in that. Even if you employed some appendages, you're asking nearly a floating Winnebago to sail against it's own windage. It's possible, but the hull's just got so much going against it to make it remotely practical. It's like asking a Chevy van to be a high speed racer. You can install all sorts of go fast, but the box shape on wheels, is just going to screw your goals in the end.

6. Bad Decisions

Bad Decisions New Member

i thank you....hmmmmm... maybe i should not then. How about kite power?

7. Perm Stress

Perm Stress Senior Member

Nothing will make this boat a sailer, sorry...
    Kite will be less obtrusive as rig, and nobody will see it, when not deployed :).
    Same leisurely downwind crawling as with "normal" rig however.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.