24m steel ketch

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Clement, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Grantgardens

Grantgardens Junior Member

You guys are helpful and informed. Background in UK. Under 18's in custody is 2,600 a thousand down on last year. Cost to the state, secure childrens home £215,000,secure training centre£160,000, basic prison min £60,000 each p.a exc vat.18 deaths under 18's over last ten years.93 suicides last year in prisons overall the youngest 15.One county Northamptonshire prices the cost of reoffending at 13.5 million. 97% reoffend presently. Selection would be voluntary via 10 day assessment afloat, and shorebased profiling,staffing levels are high. Safety is paramount. A+ role models exist throughout sail training.Technology gives communication and assists safety, tags that alarm if more than 25m from the boat.Statistically sail training is far safer than prison. Best Wishes. Brilliant link for me Apex thanks

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

As I said, you can PM me for a deeper insight.

3. Grantgardens

Grantgardens Junior Member

Leo. UK Background UK 12-17 prison population is 2600. Three tiers of secure accommodation costing an average of £215,000, £160,000, and £60,000 per person pa. Last year 91 prison suicides, 7 under 21 youngest hanged at 15. In last 10 years 8 under 18’s died through assault. Reoffending rates at 92%, at a cost of £440,000,000 pa.All figures from Hansard. Mr McGoo skippering the Mary Rose would be safer than our prisons. Will discuss safety next. Only volunteers. Best Wishes Grant

1 person likes this.

4. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Thanks, Grant.
    I found out about what we have here.

In South Australia there is a 210tonne, 43m brigantine that is used for training youth groups. They also cater to "deserving" youth.

http://www.satallships.com.au/index.php/home

The pages also have the organisation's safety and other policies. The State government supports the program.

In an earlier post I mentioned kids in foster homes. Some of them are already in the criminal justice system, or headed there.

One of many examples: a 14 year old girl with an "abused background" in a State foster home punched out a mirror. Rather than considering that she might have self-esteem or other "issues" she was charged with criminal damage, convicted, and moved out of the home and into kid's prison despite having no previous convictions.

I think that there are other groups of kids (i.e. not just offenders) in the UK who could also benefit from the type of training and adventures you are considering. Don't limit yourself to one group because it's too easy for your opponents to sideline you politically.

Leo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.