1975 23' Mako Complete Re-Build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DaveD, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Good luck with it, and I hope you don't need good luck, I probably have a minor obsession with keeping the weight down low in small boats on the open sea. If they never sold them with towers ex-factory, I would be wary.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

DaveD, probably it will not matter the weight of the tower structure but the weight of the person who is up to it.
    It would be desirable to have a body lines plan of the boat and make a well-made inclining test to determine long and transv. position of coG. With that you could do some calculation and see how far it can reach the boat.
    In general the problems are solvable (to put ballast in the keel?) but to find the correct solution you need get highly accurate data.

3. Mr Efficiency

I suppose if you put half a ton along the keel it will counter a 100 kg man centred 2.5 metres above the waterline, but that is not a practical solution. If you must have it,(the tower of terror) only use it in good conditions.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Incorrect assumption. A prudent professional would not give figures without doing any calculations.
    The tower is a danger, I will not say otherwise but for that very reason, it is necessary to do a study to see if it is possible or not to ship to carry.
    I'm used to try to get what the client is determined to do, but not what I would like. It is not easy for a designer to work "comfortable" is this.

5. Mr Efficiency

It was a bit of a joke TANSL, there is no question of running around with a half ton of ballast in a 23' planing boat, it would be lunacy. But I think it would be in the "ballpark" of what would be required. I would be particularly concerned if the boat broached with someone up that tree, it would increase the chances of a capsize.

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Mr Efficiency, hopefully, between the two, we have made ​​getting the message: "great caution"

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.