18ft. Freighter Canoe

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TimothyM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. TimothyM

TimothyM Junior Member

I can work out the hull for a 24 footer. It could have a cabin and be sailed, but someone else would have to help out with the design. I just did a quick scaling of the 20 footer up to 24'x5.5', 25" deep aft and 39.75" forward. I get about 3000# at the 8" waterline. Id have to figure out the scantlings for this beast also.

2. WickedGood

WickedGood Guest

24 footer! WOW!

Build a few of them and Ill run them out of Old Orchard Beach as a Tourist attraction if you want to team up.

We need to power them with somthing silent for Eco-Tours

Capt Walt
    Master Maine Gide
    WickedGoodOUtdoors@Maine.rr.com

[​IMG]

3. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

4. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Wow! 47', Most boat ramps around here wouldn't be long enough! LOL

Maybe by the time we add all that in a 24', and made it deep enough, it wouldn't be a canoe anymore...but seems to me it would be fun to use. Have to explore this.

5. Kims

Kims New Member

18 foot freighter

Hi Timothy
    I realize your post was a while ago, but do you have plans available for the 18 foot freighter? I live in NB Canada. Thanks, Kim

6. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

They'll be ready a week from Thursday. :D

In the meantime, could I interest you in a train-carrying submarine?

7. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Freighter Canoes: an Illustrated Exploration of the Iconic Northern Workboat 28 minute presentation by Jeremy Ward, curator of the Canadian Canoe Museum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxG3L21tY9M

Nor West Canoes in Prevost, Quebec, Canada still builds wood-canvas freighter canoes. http://nor-west.ca/en/ Their largest is the Cisasibi, length: 26 feet, beam: 84 inches, depth: 36 inches, weight: 800 pounds, capacity: 6500 pounds, recommended motor: 50 to 100HP http://nor-west.ca/en/our-canoes/ Most of their annual production of 160 canoes a year goes to the far north of Canada.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.