16' Fast Cat Hull Design?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Captain Canoe, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Captain Canoe

Captain Canoe New Member

I would like to build a sea going +-16' Fast Cat, if its possible...
    I'd like to power it with about 90 - 115hp outboard.

Where could I find boat plans or software for a project like this?

I'm hoping to build using wood and resin.

2. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

I dont know of any plans for that type of boat, perhaps you could give some examples of the type boat you are after ? (pictures of the type of boat)

We are looking for new design projects... if this one is something we could make work as a stock plan, then we might be able to help each other ;)

Seagoing in 16' AND fast - thats going to be the tough part

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I agree with JR. Sea going, sixteen feet, and fast with 90-115 Hp, are not features that marry well. I suspect that you can have two out of three.

Start by defining exactly what you mean by "sea going". Are you thinking in terms of the ICW or the Gulf stream?

You could cross the stream to Bimini from Vero beach on a perfect day when the water is as calm as a pond. There are rare days like that as you probably know. Best stay home on any other kind of day.

4. Captain Canoe

Captain Canoe New Member

Thank you for the input.

Yes, I did assume there would be a certain amount of compromise. When I say fast, 40-50kts on a pond would be more than satisfying and by "sea going" I wouldn't expect to stay dry in 4' of chop- an average day in the gulf stream.

I would like to keep it under 20' LOA. The pic attached I found on the web is 21'...

Attached Files:

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

It rather depends on how you quantify "fast". 20 knots would be a very good cruise speed for a 16 foot planing hull in "average" offshore conditions. More than that would be too ambitious. And by cat, I assume he means a symmetrical-hulled vessel, not a tunnel hull that resembles a monohull that has been split along the centreline and the two halves spaced apart. Getting such a boat to work well with a single engine has proved very difficult, though many have tried. Some have worked "well enough". This commercially built aluminium boat is still being made, so it must be satisfactory in service:
    http://www.websterstwinfisher.com.au/boat/490-runabout
    But where you could get plans for a similar boat, is beyond me.

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The boat the OP has pictured is a tunnel hull. I'd suggest any such boat propped to run to 50 knots in millpond conditions, which would also need to be quite light, won't be much use offshore, for several reasons. And if you can find any boat under 20' that can happily cruise at greater than 25 knots in a nasty chop, you have hit the jackpot ! Never mind about staying dry, worry about your spinal column !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.