12 volt to 240 volt inverter.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by whitepointer23, Nov 22, 2014.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I have just bought a 5000 watt peak inverter . I am fitting it in my prime mover to run a microwave and toaster. It has 2 positive and 2 negative input terminals. Can anyone explain why. It is a modified sine wave. Nothing in the manual mentions anything about the terminals. Not really a boat question but boats use inverters as well.

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

At peak load the inverter draws more than 400 Amps @ 12 VDC.
    I'm not surprised there are dual inputs!

3. whitepointer23

Thanks . Why not just have 2 terminals and larger leads.

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

5000 Watts is quite rare for 12V inverters, so the production quantity is too small to purchase heavy leads and terminals.
    But they should have mentioned it in their manual.

5. whitepointer23

Thanks cdk. 5000 is the peak. Continuous is 2500. I will run the truck engine when I use it and I have a battery bank of 4 n120 batterys so it will have a good 12v supply.

6. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Plus it is a convenient DC distribution point. You can daisy chain your DC to other stuff without a monstrous bus bar. Really fat wires in one terminal, a fat wire out the other to a fused, modestly sized bus bar and out to the rest of you boat.

Check to see if there is a passthrough current listed on the specs.

7. whitepointer23

Thanks phil.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.