A 12' micro cruiser called "C" Bee ...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kengrome, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Lovely looking wee boat. People have crossed the Atlantic in boats half the size, but I think the point is that if you take a boat of this size on coastal trips, you must keep a close eye on the weather and be responsible for yourself should you get caught out. I would use some kind of Plexiglass for the windows (no reason why they shouldnt be as strong as the rest of the boat if properly specced). You wont be able to take much gear with you on a 12 foot boat, but then as long as you plan your cruising for this then thats ok. I'd also chnge the rig a bit - maybe a mizzen would help the balance. Just remember that you will need to sail a boat of this size and type A LOT to discover what her quirks and limitations are, and then you will need to respect those limitations. People who place very high demands on sail boats like this are either foolhardy (before they succeed), brilliant (after they succeed) or dead (if they don't succeed)...

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

At the risk of repeating myself, there was a 'robust' discussion on micro cruisers at
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?p=196762

My opinion then and now is that people who show an interest in blue water cruising in ridiculously small boats need serious counselling, or be taken out in to the ocean for 3 weeks on a proper boat so they can experience the realities of the floating life.

or maybe they just want to store the boat in their garage so they can boast to friends and family about owning an 'around the world cruiser' . Its about the only valid reason for building and owning such a boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.