10 Foot Power Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waynep, Aug 16, 2010.

1. waynep

waynep Junior Member

Hello All,

Looking for feedback on the design of this 10 foot Power Boat. The boat is currently being built; construction pictures can be seen on my blog at :http://waynep-boat.blogspot.com/. I am very early in the building stage, but will provide more photos as construction moves forward.

This is just a small power boat. I considered a number of different designs, but finally came up with a what I believe is a traditional style small motor boat. I have spent a long time learning the whole design and build process, and hope the boat will serve me well for a number of years.

Usage of the boat will be small fresh water lakes for trout, and a salt water bay for mackerel. On a nice day I can get Cod around the point, but that would put me in open ocean waters. At 10 feet long, I'm quite positive the boat will be way too small for much of this type of use.

The link below opens a new window showing the linesplan. There is a small skeg at the stern, and the midship seat is going to be adjustable (forward and aft). I am positioning the seat as low as possible - just slightly above the Vcg of the hull. I will also be keeping using a tiller extension so operator weight is positioned forward in the boat.

When the boat is used for rowing, the seat can be re-positioned aft with no outboard motor at the stern (about 40 pounds for a 4 HP outboard).

Construction Comments:

1) Hull bottom and topsides 1/4 inch Marine Grade Plywood.
    2) 3 layers of 6 oz/sy fiberglass taped joints and chines - 12 oz/sy inside of hull, 6 oz/sy fiberglass cloth exterior bottom of hull (and at chines).
    3) 2 coats of West System Epoxy (saturation and build-up) interior and exterior of hull throughout.
    4) West System Fillet Joint at chines at hull interior.
    5) Heavy duty gunwhale along the length of the sheer.
    6) Transom is 1/2 inch Marine Grade Plywood.
    7) 1/2 inch deck at bow.
    8) 1/2 inch bulkhead positioned 1.36 feet aft top of bow.

Again, any comments good or bad would be appreciated.

http://zeamans.com/boatbuilding/image8.gif

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.