1/4" balsa core construction

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by JimT, Feb 10, 2005.

1. JimT

JimT Paddler

I'm new to the group, so please excuse my missing previous threads that might answer my questions. If they exist, please send me a roadmap. Also, while my end use might not be typical for this group, the construction techniques I'm exploring should be similar to any small craft.
    I'm looking for alternatives to cedar strip cores for canoe/kayak construction to reduce weight.
    If I have done my figuring correctly, a small boat will have about 1 cu. ft. of core (in 1/4" thickness). End grain balsa would appear to offer about 15# of weight saving over cedar if the same thickness can be maintained. I went thru a lot of posts on this forum, but didn't find anything about construction techniques using balsa core sandwiches. Am I missing some obvious limitation or is this the wrong forum?
    I've done on-line searches, but all I've found is Baltek and Diab product descriptions, not construction details using thin balsa panels. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim Traugott

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What kind of laminate are you planning on using?

3. Are you able to locate a supplier of BULK balsa near you, who has enough planks or logs for you to get the densities and end grains to pull this off ? Really good grained balsa has steadly disappeared for decades.-----Do not be surprised if the good stuff is more than good Mahogony.

4. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

I always thought end grain balsa would be great in wooden laminates, but the Gudgeon Bros. seem to prefer paper honeycomb. I don't remember exactly why, but you might want to refer to their book again.

5. JimT

JimT Paddler

I see from the "Similar Threads" info that I posted to the wrong area. A lot of my questions have been answered there. My appologies for the mistake.
    Please let this thread die and when I have a lucid question, I'll repost in the correct forum.
    Gonzo - I was trying to find whether anybody had practical experience with an end-grain balsa and fiberglass/kevlar combination. The sheets are rather small and I was concerned about layup.
    Thanks,
    Jim

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Balsa Core

Jim, I subscribe to the A class cat list and Pete Melvin just posted a letter describing his preference for 1/4" balsa core over foam for his new A-class cats.He said they use resin infusion to make sure there are no voids and that as far as he was concerned balsa was superior to foam in terms of "dents" in the hull-far more resistant to them than foam.
    You might try writing to Pete Melvin at Morrelli and Melvin-don't have a url. I'll check and see if I saved his letter and I'll let you know.
    --------------------
    Jim, I was smarter than I thought I was-I actually saved it! Send me an e-mail to: lorsail@webtv.net and I'll forward it to you....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2005
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.