Yards in US or mainland China

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Guest, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Im in the process of closing a deal for design plans for a 40ft fiberglass boat. My next step is to find a quality yard to build. I am in the US, and would prefer to build here, US West Coast or east as well. Any recommendations for yards would be appreciated.

Barring that, Im looking over seas to mainland China. I see posts from several on the list in China. Any suggestions for yards there would be appreciated as well.

Please post specific yard names and contact info if possible.

2. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Is it one-off or are you planning to go into production?

3. Production... But, I am anticipating 2-3 boats a year sold. Not high volume.

4. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

Power or sail?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Power.. sorry it took a while to respond.

6. vincentR.

vincentR. Guest

I might have a very srupid question.
    There is hundreds if not thousaunds of variuos boats for sale now.
    Why would anybody in his/her right mind build a new boat in
    such cicumstances?
    People give away boats for free, because nobody would buy
    them.
    You can buy a 50 foot boat for few thousands dollars.
    How much are you going to sell this new boat for?
    Five or six thosands?
    The market as it is now will not take more than few thousands
    unless you find an idiot.

7. fede

fede Senior Member

nice to see that somwhere on the globe boats are given for free!!!
    In my country a 23 ft may cost 50.000 $$$ !!!!
    I had to put aside the Idea of buying a 20 years old 27 feet used boat cause price is around 25.000 $ and I can't afford it.
    But if you have one 50 for a few dollars I'm ready to take it!!!!!

8. archi

archi New Member

Power.. sorry it took a while to respond.

9. genuineyachts

genuineyachts Junior Member

Your Boat

Hi,

We would like to know more information about the boat you are planning to build so that we could figure out to how could help with this project.

You can contact us at: sales@genuineyachts.com

Genuine Yachts Inc

10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I regularly work with a builder who is experienced in boats of this size. He is currently looking for a small volume project to diversify his product range. If you would like to get further information about this yard, please contact me at the address in my profile.

11. normbaker

normbaker Junior Member

I wonder if Genuine Marine is really genuine in its desires to do anything but what brings foreign currency into the country and is a good employer of people, or whether it is like Integrity Yachts, another China boat yard who does not live up to its name.

There are very few good boat yards in China capable of building to ABYC standards and too many of their home grown knock-offs don't stand the test of time to even make it out of the boatyard. Those very few Chinese yards who do a good job have had US companies invest a lot of time and money into raising their standard to an acceptable level and now most of these yards are too busy to take on any more work.

So who is looking for boats to build in China. The Chinese knock-off boatyards, some who set themselves up with fake histories and lies to convince you that they can turn out a quality boat.

It takes more than due diligence and a signed contract to do business in China and only the large companies who invest millions in the country will succeed. The small companies going in, like I did, get eaten up and spat out and the contract conditions change as quick as it takes the ink to dry. Even a contract that has a guarantee underwritten by a Chinese Government Company stating everything will be fine and if not we will give you all your money back is not worth the paper it's written on when the Government Company will not communicate with your repeated attempts to reach them and seek the retribution that they guaranteed under their letterhead.

Tread very softly, or have a lot of money you wish to throw away of you intend to build in China.

12. trawlercatbuild

trawlercatbuild Junior Member

please see the detailed experience of one company trying to build boats in China, under the "marketplace", China trawlercat build

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.