why aluminum boats sell better than fiberglass boats ?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by hyboats, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Seems to be plenty of PVC kayaks being built.
    I have this mental image of some ancient dudes twirling and puffing on long pipes with a gob of molten plastic on the end, creating kayaks like old glass blowers.

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

You can put a larger aluminium boat on a trailer than a GRP because of the lightness. Also the manufacturing of aluminium boats has improved giving a more pleasing shape to suit the purchaser.

Also plastic boats are being made with a core sandwiched between two thin layers of plastic and probably people have lost the confidence of buying these boats.

The last time I visited a boat show, the GRP boats were on the entertainment only design, useless for fishing or diving.

I think I would trust an ali boat than a GRP if I nudged a reef.

poida

3. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

There are old GRP boats worth rebuilding.
    There is no paint inside my hulls. Albin didn't do that nasty trick. They deliberately left the hull interior natural. They did use a stick on and easy peel off plastic hull liner for looks in exposed areas. I peeled it off and tossed it. Bright sunny day, I can see through the half inch thick translucent fiberglass in my hulls, even thicker on the bottoms, and know with my own eyes, even after 40 years, there is no delamination or cracks or bubbles. Good fiberglass!