Where and how much does it cost building there?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by andreasmehlin, Sep 17, 2005.

1. andreasmehlin

andreasmehlin Junior Member

Where in the world is it cheapest getting a Catamaran about 46ft build.
    I have read about cheap labour in Brazil and Asian. Is the material also cheaper in these countries?

How much would you estimate it would cost building a Schionning Cosmos 1320 or 1420 (standard equipped) in a low cost contry?

Regards
    Andreas

2. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Andreas,

Finding low-cost labor is easy, finding the neccessary skills, not so easy.

My inclination would be to contact a few yards in South Africa. There are several reputable multi-hull builders down there and cost of labor should be a lot lower than Sweden. They do speak English, and the importance of a common language should not be under-estimated. And lastly, SA needs more export revenues from things other than just low-value unrefined raw materials.

Materials will most likely not be any less expensive since they are predominantly made in industrialized first-world countries and exported, so it might just cost a little bit more with shipping costs included. On the other hand, few countries have the heinous 25% sales tax that Swedes have to endure.

Lycka till,
    Jocke.

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Poland and the Baltic countries are now EU members. That should simplify everything. And they speak English.

4. andreasmehlin

One negative aspect building in Sweden is the high VAT (even called GST in some countries), 25%. If the cat excl VAT would cost me 200k AU dollar I would save a lot building it in a low VAT country.

Another aspect is the climate, cold winter and need a good, isolated and warm shed. I don´t have a clue how much this would cost.

Building the catamaran where the VAT is low and climate more suited, would save some money.

Here´s some thoughts:
    Thailand - 8% VAT, low cost country so a shed and living shouldnt cost much

Singapore - 5% VAT, dont know much more, plz tell me if you know

Australian - 10% GST, good knowledge in the country, no expensive shipping though it´s manufactured here, good climate(I think), living cost?

New Zealand - 12% GST,

Regards
    Andreas

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

IN many countries any VAT collected on imported items is refunded for a vessel that is being exported.

The STATE would rather have the yard working and the labor employed, than extract their piece of flesh on items NOT staying in their country.

I too would love to find skilled labor to construct a 65 ft aluminum needle of a power cruiser.

FAST FRED

6. Raggi_Thor

You have to pay swedish VAT (merverdiavgift?) when you import the boat anyway.

7. andreasmehlin

Well, to be clear :)
    I forgot to mention that I concider building the cat by my own, in a country where I can save some money (and simultaneous get a culture exchange, something that changes my regular day)

Edit:// and no..I do not have to pay the swedish vat, because I never gonna import it to Sweden.

8. Raggi_Thor

OK, you could come to Trondheim :) We have the facilities and reasonable priced materials, 450g biaxial glass cloth costs 40NOK/kg (6USD/kg, 3USD/lbs), polyester costs 20NOK/kg, epoxy 80NOK/kg. Experienced boatbuilders will cost from 200NOK/hour while less skilled personal may cost 100NOK/hour.
    I guess the culture and climate (have been 11 degrees celsius and rain the last weeks) isn't exactly what you had in mind, though. And the vat is 25% :-(

9. andreasmehlin

At the moment I think that I am going to build from a pre-cut-kit, which probable suits me more who´s inexperienced.

I got some good information from Rob at Schionning. If I launch the vessel in Australia I can claim back the GST if I leave the shores in 60 days.

Do you know if other countries have the same system?
    Regards
    Andreas

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.