Wellcraft project

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by snapper340, Apr 25, 2006.

1. snapper340

snapper340 Junior Member

Hey guys, I have just been given a 22 foot wellcraft boat. I don't know the model yet but it's a dual console with a walk through windshield and I/O power. It's missing the motor and trailer.

I was thinking about removing the interior and building a center console and leaning post. my question is, should I use marine ply, or core cell foam for these? The deck may also need to be replaced. Also, should I put a gasoline motor back in it, or go with a small diesel? The engine will be going back in it's original location ( it had a chevy 350ci before).

As far as the hull goes, it looks to be well kept (no gouges or soft spots). It's a deep vee hull. any suggestions on what I need to do will be appreciated. thanks.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I am pretty sure you are in an adult version of "TAG" and you're it. If it is a solid hull, it will cost you a lot more to renovate it than a used boat, motor and trailer in running condition would cost, if it is not, you'll have 2 or 3 thousand pounds of possibly hazardous waste to dispose of. Sam

3. snapper340

snapper340 Junior Member

I know how much it's going to cost to renovate the boat. I went today to look at the boat, and it is a solid hull. I have a trailer and a motor to go back in the boat. as far as materials go the only thing I need to buy is the epoxy and fiberglass cloth if I decide to go with marine ply. I am doing this to have a project for my 3 young sons and myself to do together. I was just asking for oppinions on core cell and about the motor. I have a chevy 327 motor that has been built as a marine motor. I don't plan on getting a "cheap" boat out of this, I just want to have something that my sons and I can do together.

4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

OK. It just sounded sort of familiar. Plywood is easier and faster, you build it and glass it. I would try the motor you have since you already have it and it won't cost anything. It's a smaller motor but your boat should end up lighter.You can always change it. I'm guessing the outdrive is still on the hull and assuming it is good. I don't know how much money you want to put in it, but save all the stuff you take out, windows?, throttle/shifter, steering, fittings etc. until you're done, then throw away what you don't want. What deck are you talking about that may need to be replaced? Hulls are almost always solid from the outside, it's the insides that go bad in unseen ways. Good luck, if it all works out your kids will remember it forever. Sam

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

This would be a real good place for you to join.
    http://www.iboats.com/
    Put the curser on 'Community and Recourses' on the orange bar. Click on enter forum. Register. The two forums concerning hulls would be 'Boat Restoration and Building' and 'Boat Topics and Questions'. There are also various forums on engines. You can lots of good feedback to questions there, plus photos and links. Mostly about boats of your size, more or less. Sam

7. snapper340

snapper340 Junior Member

I am trying to get the boat here soon, but my neighborhood association may frown upon it, I just found out about a covenent that I didn't know about , stating that non running vehicles should be kept in a garage. My garage is too small to keep it in, so I may have to go to plan b. which is to build a free standing carport to put it under so I can work on it. or I may just wait until I can build a boat and not get this one. it's still up in the air. either way, my boys and I will be doing a boat project this year. the deck I was referring to is the portion above the fuel tanks . the rest is solid, and the stringers are solid as well. I will just be pulling the consoles and gunnels out and replacing them with a center console layout. man I wish I had a bigger garage.

8. snapper340

snapper340 Junior Member

well, I have decided to keep peace in my neighborhood, and not get the wellcraft. my sons and I have decided to build a tolman jumbo or possibly the CS25 from bateau.com later this year. I think it will be a better project for us anyway, I get a new boat and some quality time with my sons doing something we all enjoy. I like the tolman skiff, and I have the book on it, but I think the CS25 looks better. maybe I'll let my sons decide and we'll go from there. SamSam, I appreciate you're input, those are some good links, especially the one about the leaning post. I may have to put one in our boat. I'll keep ya'll posted on the build as soon as I know something more.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.