Want to replace old Mako 19 deck with a "Flats boat deck" - am I crazy or what !

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by dan, Sep 21, 2002.

1. dan

dan New Member

I have an OLD mako 19 "very shallow V" center console... I want to remove the deck and replace with a flats boat deck.

I would like to
    1) remove wood stringers and replace with "boxed foam" stringers
    2) rebuild deck "flush" for flats casting
    3) include anchor locker with lid
    4) live bait well with lid
    5) cast net storage locker with lid
    6) replace center console with small "side console"
    7) have fold down seat on "rear flush deck" for sitting when steering

Need to know how to find the right foam / laminate compositions for decks, stringers, etc...

2. Guest

Guest Guest

> 1) remove wood stringers and replace with "boxed foam" stringers

Are the existing wood stringers rotten or soft / waterlogged?

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Trevor Gundberg, Composite Materials Engineer with DIAB Inc. wrote a nice introductory article for us ( http://www.boatdesign.net/articles/foam-core/ ) and he was a real pleasure to deal with and a nice and knowledgeable person. If I were you I would email him at trevor.gundberg@diabgroup.com or send a PM to tgundberg or call (972) 228-7600 and he will either be able to provide you with some data to use as a base or refer you to someone who can help you with foam selection.

5. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

All I can say is your for alot of work. :) Make sure you like the hull ride and the investment.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.