Visitors invited to my project web site

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by jgdyer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. jgdyer

jgdyer Junior Member

We are just getting started on a refit of our 1960 Marinette aluminum cruiser.

Visit http://backyardboatyard.com for a look ...

I welcome your input ... and in particular I hope I might get some creative ideas regarding the propulsion rework task ...

Thanks!

John Dyer

2. yipster

yipster designer

3. jgdyer

jgdyer Junior Member

Oops ... Sorry ... DNS error ... Check later today ...

My ISP stumbled ... Tech support says they will get the DNS entry fixed today ...

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Visitors invited to my project site

Have another go Yipster - it's there now. Nice page - But not my kind of 'yacht':rolleyes:

5. jgdyer

jgdyer Junior Member

Not your kind of 'yacht'?

At the Manila Yacht Club, where I learned to sail in the '60s, the club standard for a motor yacht was "any pleasure craft 30' or greater in length" ...

Yacht
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

A yacht was originally defined as a light, fast sailing vessel used to convey important persons. In later parlance, the definition came to mean any vessel, other than a dinghy, propelled by sail, power or both and used for pleasure cruising and/or yacht racing.

A sailing yacht can vary in overall length (LOA in yachting parlance) from about 6 m (20 feet) to well over 30 m (98 feet) or more. However, most privately owned yachts fall on the range of about 7 m to 14 m (about 23-46 ft);

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

John - please - it wasn't a personal attack. Just that I'm a 'dyed in the canvas' sail man - even though most of my working life was aboard 'stink pots' (steam and diesel). But it looks a great project - and I repeat - a great page. All the best with your venture. ;)

7. jgdyer

jgdyer Junior Member

Nah, I didn't take it as an attack ...

I just thought you were poking fun at me for describing Galatea as a 'yacht' ... I did get a little indignant, didn't I?

No wonder we give them female names, the way we jump up to defend them.

No offense taken ...

John

8. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Visitors invited to my project site

John, my friend, No offense taken. My skin is so thick with barnacles as to be harpoon proof. Your defence of your craft shows true seamanship. In my (virtually lifelong) association with the sea and boats which sail upon it, I've crewed and owned some really, really ugly vessels.
    I knew they were ugly, the rest of the crew knew they were ugly...but heaven help an 'outsider' who even cast a sidelong smirk....
    Galatea is a fine looking craft, and your project an enviable one. It's just, John, that I am so set in my ways that unless there's a grubby piece of rotting canvas flapping loose somewhere, frayed sheets threatening to part, sagging backstays, and the smell of smouldering bacon coming from below, I can't believe I'm 'sailing'...
    By the by, I understand that the word 'yacht' has its origins in Holland. No doubt when Yipster (a fund of all things nautical) eventually discovers how to open your page he will weigh in with excellent advice. Meanwhile John, keep your channels open... Sooner of later I'm bound to beg you for a tow...
    ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.