Vintage aluminum Crestliner project

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Alumination, Oct 24, 2013.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I suspect you and your inventive friends could develop a set of hull lines that would work at modest speed, but frankly once you're into holy grail territory, things need to be lined up. I'm talking not about a St. Christopher medal around your neck, but the hairy butted (my assumption) fellow himself sitting in your lap, along for the ride with you, area of operation. Simply put, I don't think you know what can happen, once you get into the upper 40's in an ill balanced boat and yep, there's lot more to it than nailing a couple of centers down.

2. 58Crestliner

58Crestliner Junior Member

Just to clarify..
    I'm not entirely opposed to upgrades to original equipment to improve reliability or in some cases safety, and far from the "purest" PAR tries to make me out to be. Just not a fan of major changes to classic vehicles such as motor swaps. The rope pulley steering is a perfect example of the misery of the past you described so well lol. My Crestliner Voyager had it. It was SUPER annoying due to the friction and stiffness. Would it have been safe for twin outboards? Yeah probably, but it certainly made operation miserable so I found a compromise I could live with.. A really neat early 60's cable style steering rack with very similar chrome steering wheel stem and amazing bronze rack tube. Clearly an improvement to the original rigging in every way and still vintage.
    I'm fascinated with your plan to build a racing barrel back! Don't let the nay-sayers discourage you. I'd suggest acquiring plans for a proven hull bottom design then build up above the chines like you want.. I think that's kind of what you had in mind anyway.

3. 58Crestliner

inspirational photos

Just a couple of shots I like.

Attached Files:

4. 58Crestliner

inspirational photos

Just a couple of shots I like.

Attached Files:

5. Alumination

Alumination Junior Member

I see we share the same great taste in boat design. :)

I'd like to incorporate some of these lines into my project, vertical or Axe Bow and more of a slanted stern than a full on barrel back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 58Crestliner

That's a stealthy looking boat! This site is techie cool but you might want to also have a look at screamandfly.com That's where the go-fast across the water dudes converse. I've gotten a lot of encouragement and great practical advice from the guys on there.

7. Alumination

Alumination Junior Member

I'm over there too. They are more of the buy something and go fast, not really into building a boat although there are a couple.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.