? on type of paint

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by timbecht, May 15, 2014.

1. milezone

milezone Junior Member

I only say oil base as it is stronger isn't it? Won't get beat up when dragged, bumped etc as easy as latex. Or am I wrong on this?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yes, you are wrong about "latex", being weaker. This use to be the case, but not so much any more. Acrylics (they haven't used latex in paint for 30 years) are now formulated to be harder, more durable, have high gloss retention and UV resistance to the basic alkyds (oils). The car you drive is painted with a 2 stage, 2 pack acrylic paint system. Of course, these paints are highly specialized, but it gives you an idea of how far the acrylics have come.

As to the video, which I still haven't watched, if it's rattle can applied, then yes, it's an alkyd, usually a modified alkyd, more like a polyurethane, than a true alkyd.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.