trawler/cruiser

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Nigel, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I'm keen on building a fishing vessel capable of sleeping 2 + the kids for a week in a minimalist style.Speed is not a concren but safety and econemy is.I bought the Boden portfolio booklet and 3 boats appealed,119, a double diagonal planked trawler type vessel ,149 with an extended wheelhouse to sleep in wich is much the same style but made of glass/ply, and 130, an alloy offshore fishing vessel ,all are displacemant hulls around the 9 to 10 meters. I would build a hardstand trailer for what ever I build and am not sure if each construction method is suitable for that treatment.Construction cost is also a consideration.I am skilled in laying fiberglass and welding steel.Which type requires the most /least maintanence?I have acess to 120hp perkis deisel.Towing a dory would be required,or maybe hauling it up onto the deck through an open style transom.OK now wheres the spell check?

2. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Trawler / Cruiser

Since I don't have Boden's booklet I have no idea what 119, 149 and 130 are like. Are any of these shown on Boden's web site http://www.bodenboatplans.com/ ?

Any type of construction you choose should be compatible with a hardstand or trailer. It is best to spread the loads over a larger area or to locate the support pads where internal frames/bulkheads are. Wood is be the highest maintenance. Steel would be slightly higher than fiberglass but if you keep it out of the water the difference would be insignificant. The main difference between steel and fiberglass would be weight. In the length range you are talking about steel will be much heavier. Your requirements are very similar to the "Option 1" design project http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14 . You might find that discussion interesting, although we (despite my opposition) have selected outboard propulsion.

The marine version of the Perkins diesels are marinized by Saber and are generally known as Perkins Saber. If your engine is a Perkins and not a Perkins Saber I would recommend you find out what the marinization consists of and if you could get these parts from Saber. Perkins and Saber have been acquired by Cat and some Perkins Saber engines are now available under the Cat label.

I type my messages on Outlook and spell check them, then copy and paste to the boat design forum.

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.