Torture boards

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by rogerball0, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Emerald Shell

Emerald Shell New Member

You can use foamglas planks depending on what you are using for a fairing compound. It works great on glass bubbles and talc. They come in 4"x16"x24" slabs. Cut them lengthwise at 4" O/C and you will then have 4 each 4x4x24 'fairing sticks'. They work great on straights but require a little wearing in for curves. You run them at 45deg angles while holding them horizontal, not just up and down or sideways, otherwise you will leave gouges.

They come from Pittsburgh/Corning and look to be available in the UK.

Attached Files:

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I started out fairing (33.5' hull) with the foam PSA sanders.

[​IMG]

I have them in 16" & 30" lengths plus some other different profiles (teardrop, round). They work well and easily conform to large radius curves. The 30" if you're not careful will bow up in the center so the sanding only really gets done under your hands.

After a few go rounds of he sides I got the Flexicats. 22"x4-1/2" and a 33"x 2-1/4" on loan from the distributor. Both tools are in the $130 USD range. I've never done this type of work before but the Flexicats are lightyears ahead of the foam sanding blocks. The 22" is a real workhorse!

[​IMG]

I originally intended to buy them but problems with the factory in EU caused supply issues so I got loaned two of them. Bonus. But for a fair size project they're probably a very good investment because you could sell them for most of what you paid for them I imagine.

3. rogerball0

rogerball0 Junior Member

Just checked out the flexicat website, they look the business and have found a distributor in Southampton (up the road from me in the UK).

cheers

roger

4. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Hey Roger.

Definitely worth a look. See if they'll lend you one to try out. You will get a good workout with them for sure!

http://youtu.be/2ZRYDaUO8wI

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've used them and don't really find them any superior to the home made boards we all have. On large jobs, you have to use machine power or you'll kill your arms or look like Schwarzenegger. The best one I have, uses an old half sheet Craftsmen sander body, switched to inline movement. The board is screwed to the original plate on the sander and it works fast. Because it's fairly heavy, it's a rough in tool, but the newer, lighter plastic 1/3rd sheet sanders will do the same thing, given the same modification.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.