thought on fuel cells

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by boats4future, Nov 20, 2002.

1. boats4future

boats4future New Member

1. Is it practical?
    As far as I know, there is a propane-driven fuel cell on the market. I don´t know where to buy, however. Hydrogen fuel cells (very very efective, up to 80%) are not on the market yet but with big car companies pushing for that it might be soon.

2. Some pros and cons
    Pros:
    It is quiet, as loud as a pump.

It is more efficient then a combustion engine

It creates direct curent (for many appliccations this is desirable for example charging batteries)

It is small ! (no bigger than two batteries)

Their are no moving parts !

Cons:
    The most efficient fuel (hydrogen) does not have a good distribution system.

With limited production, price is not as low as it could be.

That about sums up what I know. Check howstuffworks.com for more info and links.

2. boats4future

boats4future New Member

an extra though

Since you just creating powor you run electric motores to power your prop. this means you can put your fuel cell any where and gust run a cabel to the moters, further more you can run to props of one fuel cell stack. and you dont need a altenator or inveter.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.