Thickness of Plywood for a canoe.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Panos_na, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Panos_na

Panos_na Junior Member

Hello!!

I have Designed a canoe Length overall = 4m and i am about to start building it.

The problem is, that i dont know the thickness of the Plywood Sheets, that i should buy.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks!!

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

how many panels? What the widest dimension of your bottom panel?

3. Panos_na

Panos_na Junior Member

It has 3 panels and it has flat bottom.

The maximum width of the bottom panel is 570mm.

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

1/8" to 1/4" (3mm to 6mm), depending on how light you want it and how rough you will be handling it. a 4 m canoe will probably end up about 35-45lbs (16-20.5 kg) with 6mm and about 2/3s that with 3mm. This is assuming the same amount of 'glass, resin and furniture on both. Stepping in points have to be reinforced with 3mm and should be with 6mm

Steve

5. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Sounds like a pirogue. Couple of assumptions: You're using epoxy and only fiberglass taping the seams.

22.5" (570mm) is a pretty wide span for a canoe panel. I'd go with 6mm on the bottom to minimize oil canning. You'll still get some so you may want to consider adding a rib. I'd also use wooden butt blocks to splice your panels instead of any sort of scarfing joint. That will help add some needed stiffness.

If you went with 4mm on the bottom, you'd have to glass both sides to get your needed stiffness.

In either case, as long as everything is sealed with epoxy, you could take it out for a test paddle and see where you'd like modification. Lot depends on how hard you use your boat, wht you weigh, etc.

6. Panos_na

Panos_na Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.