tab a - slot b construction method

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Tinkerer, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer New Member

I've done some work in laser cut toys, models, and other small items using tab-and-slot construction. It seems to be a very fast and easy way to put things made of cut sheets together. It's also accurate and extremely strong as the parts are interlocked. I recall seeing something on tv about some boatbuilder cutting plywood to shape on a waterjet machine for the interior decks and bulkheads. They could be assembled with hammer, glue & screws, then the hull was skinned on. Kind of the opposite from the way a large boat is normally built.

Anyway, does anyone know if this is being done? Has anyone tried it in small boats? I'm working on a small catamaran (12') for the local lakes. It's going to have a flat bottom and very shallow draft for fishing and a big flat deck for putting around with the whole family. I'm drawing it in CAD and will have it waterjet cut from exterior ply, then glue the parts together and paint it. I will cut a scale model in cardboard to prove the layout is right first. I'd like advice on glues and paints. It won't live in the water, I'll keep it at home.

Comments? Suggestions? Am I MAD?

2. TheFisher

TheFisher Junior Member

3. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

In commercial metal ship building, this is called Poka Yoke, and is relatively common. Of course, the parts are welded together once they are locked together, but it saves a lot of time in set up.

4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer New Member

Originally called "fool proofing" and later changed to "mistake proofing" and "fail safing" so employees weren't offended, poka yoke (pronounced "poh-kah yoh-kay") translates into English as to avoid (yokeru) inadvertent errors (poka).

It shows up all kinds of places, like the cord holding the pen at the bank so you can't walk off with it. Parts made with tabs and slots so they can't be assembled the wrong way (or it's very, very obvious if you do) would be a good example. It does apply to what I'm planning, but it's not the correct term for boatbuilding with that method. Do a search and you'll find some interesting sites with loads of examples of poka yoke.

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.