stitch an glue boat size..

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by hob_n, Sep 23, 2005.

1. hob_n

hob_n Junior Member

Hi. I'm all new to boat building, though not to sea :)
    In search of retirement projects for the my father i found that we could build a boat in our backyard. well being a sailing maniacs we contacted locals, boat builders, and even shipyard...
    I've done my share of the research on the net and i decided we fizibly make stitch and glue boats.
    Well my father still doesnt like the idea of stitching a boat :) but i convinced him that the stitches has nothing to do with the finished constraction.
    Our problem is...
    1- we are two overgrown giants. a 20' boat is way too small for us. the biggest boat i found is 23' vagabond. and heard bad quotes from it from builders complaining the water line rises dangerously when 4ppl onboard.

2- how and where doyou stabilise the mast since it takes a lot of stress on downwind or upwind.

3- if we were to build multi chine or radius chine boats is really more harder and time taking than of stitching method...

thanks in advance for your replies.
    hob

2. hob_n

hob_n Junior Member

oh. i forgot to write. we are importing carbon fiber to here and we actually plan to make a carbon fiber boat with this technique. please advise if it has ever been done. and is it possible...
    and also. does anyone know a better site than beatau cause their server seems to down most of the time.

cheers
    hob

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

4. hob_n

hob_n Junior Member

thanks raggi_thor, yes i have browsed their site. i found the Vagabond 20 plans from there. i see now that they have vagabond 23' and the legendary serpentine. with 7,02 m loa it still looks a little small.

5. Raggi_Thor

Does it have to be stich and glue?
    What about our Didi 26?

6. hob_n

hob_n Junior Member

not really. its just that stitch and glue seems like very simple to a newbee like myself...

when they say "Radius Chine Plywood Trailer-sailer" what they actually mean??? is it not made from fiberglass??? and what is the difference between radius and multi chine??? it means i have to curve the woods that form the chine??? how do you do that???
    thanks again

7. Raggi_Thor

The radius area is approx half a meter wide so the boat looks pretty much like a normal round bottom. You build most of the boat with large flat panels of plywood, but the radius is made of two layers of 4mm (or simmilar) ply in strips of approx 20cm width. Dudley Dix has written an artice on the subject,
    http://www.dixdesign.com/radply.htm

8. hob_n

hob_n Junior Member

thankx alot raggi_thor i think i got the idea now. we first build the bulkheads and then those stringer things... epoxy. fiberglass turn over. i guess its more hard than it sounds :):):):)
    i still dont quite understand the means of curving the radius. two layers??? is there a site that shows better pics of the process???

9. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Check out Sam Devlins boats and you find can some radius chine shots on Dudley Dix site
    www.dixdesign.com

10. hob_n

hob_n Junior Member

i have visited http://www.concordia.matav.hu/hajo/ which i found at the links you provided. there are hundreds of pics there on how they built a radius chine 30'
    i've come to the conclusion that it takes a lot of time and effort than the stitched boats. argh i guess i'll buy lots of designs and then decide looking at the plans :):)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.