and so it begins...

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by tugboat, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Finally- (and I mean finally) I've got my build underway...

To all trolls- forget about convincing me my boat is worthless or wont work or whatever- I wont respond or listen. to those who want to be supportive, who feel happy, because they too have created their dreams- welcome!!:):):):)

It has taken me five years to get to this point- and about 15 years of dreaming... but I finally figured it out.
    so stay tuned to this thread for updates...I don't have pics of my strongback and frames yet but tomorrow I will...

Thanks to all who have been patient with me...
    for those who haven't - you know where to put your negativity-I am succeeding despite your attempt's to troll me. :mad::p

you have lost- SO accept it.

accept also that things can be done on a shoestring budget too!...

but back to the build...

Stats;
    30.25 ft L.O.A.(including push knees)
    beam 10 ft
    bwl- 10 ft
    Lwl 30 ft.
    engine - Petter-Mclaren 20 hp @1500 rpms with huge a$$ flywheel!
    geared 2:1.

future propulsion
    steam plant 18 hp single acting
    boiler- 120 sq ft fire tube.

prop- single, aprox 24-26"

wheelhouse- 5 ft x 6 ft
    engine trunk- 5 ft x 7 ft aprox
    cabin trunk 3ft x 5ft

material: steel mild A36
    topsides: 3/16 plate
    bottom: 3/16 plate
    deck 1/8th diamond plate(checker plate).

the plan here as mentioned before is to tow or push a small accommodations barge. It will likely do some yacht towing maybe even some marina work. it is intended as a year round liveaboard.

Ill likely re-enforce the bow for ice work. if feasible and practical and financially viable..

time frame is to have the full hull done - completed by late spring of 2014.
    launch date; summer 2014.

My wife and I will be relocating to the Trent-Severn and then to Toronto for Winters aboard.
    We also plan to cruise the Great loop- the St Lawrence seaway and the intra-coastal waterway. or cruise the Mississippi.(hope those damn carp don't become a bother.)

so far the frames are within 1/32" tolerance.

now- I wanted to ask those who know-

regarding the stringers;
    should I let them stand proud from the frames and weld them to the frames? or push them out to meet the plate- weld them on to the plate then push the stringers back into the slots then weld them up?-

basically im asking. what is the best way to avoid distortion when welding up the plate to the stringers- there is the Shrink wrap method and then there is what I have read on Wynands site. which seems to be pretty much like the "shrink wrap" method...
    or Mal Low recommends on his rockered hulls to use angle for the topsides stringers and standard stringers for the bottom and intracoastals.

I will be ready to plate just after c-mas so I want to formulate some sort of strategy...
    thoughts?...

Attached Files:

• gft.jpg
      gft.jpg
      File size:
      56.1 KB
      Views:
    • kug.jpg
      kug.jpg
      File size:
      330.1 KB
      Views:
    • top.jpg
      top.jpg
      File size:
      145.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

pics of set-up

first four frames and strongback -frames are dry fitted but not welded to the set up beams yet...just a check to see what I am dealing with...
    strongback is not completed yet but is leveled and squared up- more cross members and cross bracing to be added then two steel tubes 3 x 2 x 1/8th resting on the strongback provides the base for the frames...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ9ClKd26R4 check progress here...

Attached Files:

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What will it be called ?

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

More importantly - whose design are you using ?

Re "regarding the stringers;
    should I let them stand proud from the frames and weld them to the frames? or push them out to meet the plate- weld them on to the plate then push the stringers back into the slots then weld them up?-"

There are heaps of steel boatbuilding threads that go over all these techniques - you dont need to re-hash them on another thread.

Try searching eg.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/me...ines-stand-proud-transverse-frames-14092.html

5. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Make that build jig robust. Metal boats are heavy and need to withstand grunting and pounding

7. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

my design,

will do, thanks for the post. ill check those out...

8. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

do you mean the name of the vessel? the "Towminator" a play on words from the movie "Terminator."

9. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

agreed- I am reinforcing it more for sure...I calculated the hull built to flip stage to be 4000 lbs ...each frame bears 300 lbs.. I have lots of scrap wood to use on it and ill brace it up good...lots of cross bracing and doubled up bearers- remember though the whole boat is supported by long steel bearers...thanks!

10. tugboat

tugboat Previous Member

Peter,
    I'm looking for others experience... not books.
    so Im asking; why not give me some pointers on how you did it? not make me read through books I've already read.

also why haven't you answered my questions?- especially in my last thread?

in fact I have asked you a quite a few, even sent you an email some time back. yet you never responded?(unless I forgot -if so I apologize) perhaps you didn't see my queries at the end of my last posts to you in my last thread?

we have had our disagreements- but I implore you to put aside our differences and help me a little ...isn't that what the forum is for? I hold no grudges. even if you don't like my methods- and disagree- its all good.

to be frank- it would be nice getting help from someone who has done it already- I may not always take your advice but I respect your experience and do listen. I just see things differently than you on occasion and that's a good thing believe me.
    you may not want to hear this but; I'll bet if we really knew each other we would probably be great friends who duke it out once in a while over disagreements during a good solid drunk and then hug each other as brothers later.. we are probably too much alike. Both stubborn ********...:)
    anyway sorry I digress...
    how did you do your stringers?

I have read Colvin as you know, but he is outdated-

Klingel- also outdated and welds to the frames...

Mal low welds to the frames or at least does not specify in his tug tutorial that they are left proud...

Shrink wrap- Glen-l/Al Sorenson does not weld to frames...a good system and produces a really fair hull...

steel away- haven't read that yet-

metal boats by Bruce Roberts- he does in fact weld to the stringers but Im not clear on the sequence.

and I believe I've told you this many times about the books I've read....but its not the same as getting experienced advice in certain areas...

a will re-ask my questions to you:

do you have a name picked out for your beautiful boat? (I think it is beautiful and one of the best looking steel boats I've seen) and I still disagree that you could have owned as nice a boat as the one you've built by buying...great Job! (mentioned that to you already- so your welcome.)

In case I forgot,( if you told me prior)- when are you planning to launch?
    And im dying to see pics of her in the water...

so hope you can help...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.