Small scale cargo boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by schoolproject, Oct 27, 2001.

1. schoolproject

schoolproject New Member

The boat must be 24x34x14cm or less must weigh less than 500 grams and be able to hold 3000grams for 1 minute through wave testing

Try to keep the materials and designs simple and cheap.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Sorry I didn't answer before - I still think in inches and ounces rather than cm and grams: using the Unit Converter at http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/ that's 9.4" W x 13.3" L x 5.5" H or 9 x 13 x 5 and needs to support around 6.6 pounds and weigh less than 1.1 pounds.

I guess a good question would be how vigorous the wave testing is and what the critera is for "seaworthiness" - is the object just to not sink? If it's only for one minute I would think a barge like design built from foam core or even painted mat board would do the job just fine - maybe a few light balsa supports. I think you could even do a two chambered bottom with a few bulkheads inbetween so it would be less prone to sink and still stay under the weight limit.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Unless you need the structure to support a concentrated weight, better to keep the weight down as low as possible for stability. A bit of curvature or V will help it break the impact of the waves as opposed to going with a flat bottom and straight bowed barge, and the V or curved structure will help add stiffness. Sounds like a fun project. Let us know how it turns out.

4. schoolproject

schoolproject New Member

i was thinking of a cone bttom a v is for moving vessles this one doesn't need to move a cone would support all the waves right?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.