Skin on frame kayak plans

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by chuckyNZ, Sep 10, 2013.

1. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Gentlemen,

I have just discovered that an old suggestion has a lot of merit. Don't round over the outside surface of the SOF stringers. The reason is that any debris/ trash that gets in the boat (including dirt, sand, rocks) quickly and easily gets trapped between the skin and the stringer.
    I have a brand new boat I want to sell that looks like it has zits along the stringers. carefully scraping between the stringer and the skin with a thin piece of plastic shows very small pieces of dirt or construction debris (wood chips/ shavings).

This should suggest that a dowel would be very bad for appearance. I really wanted to use dowels for the reason Watson shows, just could not find any cheap enough. Thank goodness I didn't.
    The only way I could see to do this would be to paint the inside of the boat to keep the dirt out. But I don't see how to do that!

1 person likes this.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Dont panic - its not an accurate suggestion.

Square or round, if you get the boat filled up with dirty, brackish water, you will end up gunge caught in the sharp angles, or even between dowelled stringers.

I have paddled in Folboats - the collapsible dutch Kayaks with dowels in place of stringers. There was no problem. In fact, the dowel shape made for less wear on their canvas cover, as it has a higher area to pressure ratio, unlike the sharp edges of a chine.

The skin of a kayak is never drumskin tight against the fabric, and a hose is all that is needed to wash sand and other debris out of the upside down hull.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.