Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Construction > Boatbuilding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 06-19-2002, 11:02 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 6
Scarfing Jig

I have seen a scarfing jig that attaches to power planer and would like to create one. Does anyone know how this is done or a link to a simple design ?

Old 06-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Senior Dreamer

Rep: 779 Posts: 1,580
The jig pictured at this site is the only one I know of for a power plane. I'm sure someone has plans, but not me.

http://www.alaska.net/~bwalker/ladyc/scarf.htm

This is the old contact info for the one shown.

John Henry,Inc.
P.O. Box 7473-WB
Spanish Fort, AL 36577
334-626-2288
scarffer@bellsouth.net

Gary
Old 06-20-2002, 11:18 AM

Rep: 10 Posts: 6
thanks

Thanks Gary.

I have got in touch with the folks of this Jig, this was the one I have heard of and recalled seeing, plus the fact I actually have a Makita planer may make it worthwhile to just buy it instead of making my own, unless I see plans somewhere. Appreciate the heads-up.

I am putting the finishing touches on a little strip canoe for the family and really excited about trying to build a whitehall or maybe a southport puller, not sure. Need all the practice I can get building cause I want to build a small sailing cruiser next year.

Thanks again.

q
Old 08-10-2002, 12:01 AM

scarfing jig

There is a collection of ways to scarf. A router jig works well, simply sawing close to the scarf lines you have drawn and hand planning carefully to the lines works well also. A good source of info about scarfing can be found in 'The Gougeon Brothers on Boat Contruction' and in this book you will find a whole chapter on scarfing. Also, in the book there are some photo's of a slick and simple idea they have come up with to scarf large pieces of plywood. They have attached a guide to the underside of a circular saw and from what I see in the photo's, makes some king sized scarfs accurately and quickly. Also, this same book has a lot of very good info describing the various methods of boat contruction and a whole lot more.
good luck
Richard
Old 09-25-2002, 09:05 AM

Here's another jig. This one works with a router.
http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Woo...ig/Gauger.html
Old 05-14-2003, 03:54 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 18
Hi,

you can look up the scarfer I made myself at

http://www.messwerk.at/flame-sailing

jump to chapter "Tools & Place" / "Bauplatz und Werkzeug"

Kind regards
Mike
Old 07-02-2003, 10:18 PM

Rep: 84 Posts: 661
http://www.westsystem.com/

Go to Product Information then special tools and cleaners.

They have a scarfing attachment for a circular saw I made one once and it was a lot faster than my plane.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:48 AM

Hi again,

the gear to attach to the circular saw (West system or my homemade "clone") however have a disadvantage :

They work fine only for sheet material of a thickness of typ. 8mm depending on the dia of the wheel.

I used this way for constructing stringers of laminated strips of 5mm ply, so I first scarfed the broad side of a whole panel, then cut it into strips. So they were immediately ready for glueing without further preparations

If you got sheet material, this tool is brilliant; if you got -say- strips of oak (I had 150 x 6mm for the keel), lay a few out on your table, clamp them with a thick plank, using additional wedges to fix the inner strips, cut it to same lenght and scarf it

Care must be taken not to drop the tool when reaching the edge; keep it horizontal until the wheel has clearly left the wood. I spoiled the first edges trusting my ears too much

Good luck
Mike

OBS: my pictures had to move to http://www.dauda.at
Old 07-03-2003, 06:18 PM

Rep: 1894 Posts: 9,588
I scarf without a jig. My method consists of stacking all the plywood or planks on a bench and either screw or clamp them down. I stagger them at a distance eight times their thickness. I mark a line paralel to the edge on the uppermost plank or plywood at the same spacing. Then I plane a flat surface from the line to the edge of the last plank or board. It is much faster than any jig and I can scarf as many layers as I want at once.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:06 PM

Hi Gonzo,

I used the method you described on pieces of 10x30mm oak for my sheerstrakes with a 1:10 slope, stack of 3 plus one rubbish at the top for protection and better guidance.

Allthough I agree by large with your comment, I found it a bit difficult to guide the electric plane so that the scarf doesn't "hang" to one side. I had to move the plane up&down from both sides a couple of times until I arrived at a plain, nonhanging surface of even slope throughout

Secondly, at the begin of the action, I spoiled my first set because the plane went too deep into #2 and damaged the edge of one strip. In general, with a bit more of excercise I think I can become better on this method as well. Will keep trying ...
Old 12-20-2005, 08:28 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 20
http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/stitch.../scarfjig2.htm
Old 12-21-2005, 02:24 AM

Rep: 112 Posts: 624
Gonzo's method works well and is fast. You'll have to get a feel for your powerplaner. Maybe finish up a bit with a handplane.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:47 PM

2 years later ...

and with a lot more practice: 100% agree, good method.

(
However - for sheet material up to 8 mm I still use my homebrew scarfing slide attached to the circ saw http://www.dauda.at/EN/03.html
)

Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 4
Check out the Bateau.com design comments. They say scarfing isn't necessary in most of their stitch&glue designs and have substituted a butt design method.