S&G Runabout?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mikbau, Sep 22, 2014.

1. mikbau

mikbau Junior Member

Thanks Petros

The problem I'm running in to is that I haven't found plans for a design I like in the construction method I am after. It may very well be I need to alter my desire to do a first one as a S&G build - but I guess the good news is that S&G is likely a little cheaper to try.

I've spent a lot of time examining designs that use other construction methods to see what re enforcements may need to be in place. Given the size and materials, I think I know what would need to be in place for it to be strong and safe enough without significantly increasing the weight. I've seen photos of a similar design built with S&G...by experienced builders...and my I see in my head is close to what they built in terms of structure. I don't know for sure whether or not they have plans available, but at first glance, I didn't see them.

For kicks, I will likely at least draw out my idea, and will probably make a model. I realize that trying this all myself won't be cheaper, but I like the challenge. I could have bought a cheap trailer for my used aluminum 12 footer, but I decided to build my own out of aluminum. I did a lot of planning and research and I now have a trailer that I can disassemble and can carry 2-3 times more weight than some of the models from Castlecraft, etc.

Thank you for your input
    ~m

2. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't know of any "runabouts" that Mark (Bowdidge) has drawn up.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.