Rot in area where prop goes into hull.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by tomholly, Sep 19, 2014.

1. tomholly

tomholly New Member

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about purchasing a 37 foot carol ketch, and everything seems like it checks out, except one thing, there is rot where the prop shaft enters the hull. The original owner said he epoxied the area, and there was no leakage, but obviously didn't want to run the motor. My question is this, can I just cut out the area and replace it with new oak? What kind of process does that entail? I've attached some pictures, although I know it won't be too helpful.

She was built in 1988.

Attached Files:

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Have the boat surveyed by someone familiar with wooden construction (most aren't).

The process of fixing it can include several techniques and processes, plus without a good inspection, it's tough to offer much more than general advise. These types are repairs (shaft tube, deadwood timbers, etc.) can be difficult and costly, especially if not done right. Also if you can see rot, this simply means there's a lot more in places you can't see or haven't exposed yet.

Don't believe anything the owner or any previous surveyor says. They aren't working in your best interest.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I can see hogging ( the curve upwards at the chainplates) and loose planking even in a low quality photo. Epoxy is a short lived, quick and dirty repair. Rotted wood needs to be removed and replaced.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Yeah, I see lots of stuff too, but some of it could be lens distortion and image quality.

5. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

The fact that the owner epoxied it and now wants to sell should be reason enough to walk away. At 26 years old there should be way more life left in it than appears from the photo - someone has been 'sparing' with the maintenance and upkeep - undoing neglect is way more expensive than keeping things shipshape in the first place.

Certainly not a 10K boat as advertised.

Speak to your local surveyors and boat yards, there are boats like this not for sale but for FREE - just pay some outstanding yard fee's etc. The cost of a properly executed repair to such a critical area may well leave you in negative equity even if you only paid a few hundred - you only get the benefit from that if you are keeping the boat a long time.

It's a good time to buy a boat with the season coming to an end - many are looking at the costs of haul out and over winter storage - months of scraping sanding and painting or varnishing.

If you are doing all the work yourself - you can get some great bargains, but if you're paying craftsmen - buy a boat where the owner has already paid the craftsmen, you'll get the benefit of their labour but only pay pennies on the dollar.

Buy it for 10K, fix it for 10K, insure it for 25K, sell it for 12.

If you have 10 grand to spend on that.... Look at a few 25 -30 grand boats - this time of year you can buy those for 10-15. You'll still spend some of the winter scaping sanding painting and varnishing - just not ALL winter.

Are you specifically looking for a wooden boat ?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I see all the seams under the chainplate area are open. That suggests fastener and frame problems.

7. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

They have it on boats.com, for some more pictures.

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Carol-Ketch-/145034041#.VB94lFedMVc

Doesn't look any less like a project boat - I think the owner is pricing based on the value in the 'new' 30 hours (but 5 years old) diesel.

Seems like a catch 22 situation;-

There is only a select percentage of the boat buying public with the knowledge and skills to take on a boat like that.

BUT These are the very people who know which project boats can be completed cost effectively, for the minimum of cash and time and will generally steer clear of the extreme end of the spectrum.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.