Request for Proposal: Tug Yacht 24

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by AnthonyYacht, Feb 9, 2005.

1. AnthonyYacht

AnthonyYacht Mechanical Engineer, MSME

I am looking for boatbuilder/designer to build 24 ft aluminum (or Corten) tug yacht. All technical data in scantlings section is for aluminum construction.
    I provide concept tug design. I want it look like that. Exhaust will serve as head/shower compartment in the future.
    I understand that professional improvements might change design, but I want keep it close to mine as much as possible.
    Read attached Request for Quote and CAD renderings for details. CAD drawings are also available to serious builder/designer upon contract agreement.
    Please, provide quote in private confidence to the following address: AnthonyYacht@yahoo.com

Attached Files:

2. tmarks11

tmarks11 New Member

Flat bottom and near vertical, single chine sides? You might want to rethink that, as she will give a very uncomfortable ride in anything but the most sheltered of waters. Also, why 12' beam on such a short boat? She is small enough to be trailerable, but not at that width.

You might want to look for existing designs, of which their are several already in existance for aluminum construction. A designer will probably charge you $6k just to draw up plans for your boat, but stock plans would run run $300-700.

I can think of a few right away. The Boojum 25 by Michael Kasten immediately pops to mind.
    Boojum 25

The Fred Murphy 26 by Al Sorenson.
    Fred Murphy

I am sure some other denizens can chime in with some other favorite designers?

3. asathor

asathor Senior Member

Are you for real?

I do not mean to offend you, but that project of far from the RFP stage.

You can't insists on a hull design that is not suited for sailing and ask other people to spend time on it without paying them.

A lot of the people coming here are professionals that need to make a living so I took it upon myself to say this out loud.

You should be able to hire a good navel architect for $100-$250 per hour to help you with the real design work.

4. AnthonyYacht

AnthonyYacht Mechanical Engineer, MSME

It does :)
    It is not award winning design, but it floatable :)
    And that more than enough :)
    I am not building a "yacht" :), but just self propelling barge.

5. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I saw you other posts. Go with marine plywood stitch and glue. You can do all the work quickly, without handling heavy sheets of metal, it's strong, and you don't have to be a welder/fabricator/boatbuilder. You can get all the plywood CNC router cut and drilled, all the materials are obscenely inexpensive. What about your "smokestack"? Plywood can be tortured into any shape by steaming or cutting grooves (I forgot the correct word here) on the inside of the curve. You want to go with metal because you're familiar with it, I think. I'm not going to comment on what I think it looks like.

6. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Asathor, you hit the nail on the head................

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.