Raft for Poker River Run

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by maryann, Jul 27, 2005.

1. maryann

maryann New Member

Hello to all. We are trying to create a raft for a Poker Run down the Kootenay River. The raft will ideally hold 4-6 people in relative comfort... the theme is of course "Gilligans Island" and I would like for it to hold come wicker furniture, blow up palm trees and of course a cooler (hammock would be cool) Anyhow, we have lots of lumber, 50 gallon barrels and 16 gallon barrels and a whole lot of energy. What I need to know is how to build it, :confused: there are several "builders" in our group, but I am certain better ideas would come from here. I appreciate all help. Thank you. MaryAnn

2. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

Cool! Make a cage out of lumber to hold your oil drums, cover the cage with decking making sure to run a couple of 4 X 4s from the bottom of the cage right through the decking protruding up about 5 feet (for your hammock). Actually you could have four more posts, one on each corner for a grass shack roof. If you use 4" spacers between the drums then theres lots of opportunity to do that. You could probably get away with using 6 of 50 gallon oil drums spaced out to the extreme corners. As I said, cage them with lumber, plywood, whatever and nail the decking to the cages.

oops boss is here

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.