Proper drain hardware?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Mark V, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Mark V

Mark V New Member

I need to place a thru hull drain at the bottom of a 15.75 ft double ender. It will go through the deck floor, about 2 inches of air and foam, and then through the bottom or the hull. The boat is rotomolded PE.

I've looked at a variety of garboard and other drains. Any suggestions or cautions?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Arrowmarine

Arrowmarine Senior Member

I am a BIG believer in using a seacock whenever possible on any "thru hull" below the water line. Thats my only advice.
    Peace, Joey

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Mark,

The Marelon through-hull fittings from Forespar would be very good for your application. Marelon is the plastic they are made out of, and they are very popular in fiberglass boats. They have been in production for a long time, and you can get them through West Marine.

Eric

4. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

If this boat wasn't designed for this I'd caution about doing it, nothing bonds well to this material. You're liable to end up with a continous leak that's very difficult to fix.

Bill H.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.