pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by cat chaser, May 5, 2002.

1. cat chaser

cat chaser Junior Member

Im building a small pontoon boat (8' x 4' deck ) but Ive encountered two problems..(a) very small budget and (b) the largest pontoon material Ive been able to locate is 6" pvc.
    If I use enough pvc to keep it afloat it wont be a pontoon boat, it will be a raft.
    It needs to carry around 600lbs and the boat itself is guestimated at just under 200lbs. No deep water for this one, just for some slow moving river fishing and maybe some close in bank fishing on the lake. I plan on oaring it around or using a push pole.
    Any sudgestions?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

You can get 8" and larger diameter PVC from most plumbing supply companies, but it's not cheap. 20 ft of 8" PVC runs around $70-$100.

Aluminum might be preferable for weight. Have you looked at pontoon kits or are they too expensive?

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

You can make some very simple pontoon hulls from plywood, lumber, construction adhesive, a few screws, and paint. If you want plans. I could try to put some lines down if don't tell anyone where you got them from. :eek:
    Gary

4. cat chaser

cat chaser Junior Member

Unfortunatly the aluminum kits are way out of my price range...have a baby on the way real soon(and the cranky wife to go with) next question...what would be the smallest diameter tubing I could get away with and not end up swimming home :) and what other alternitives might be available... am looking into wood but need to keep the wieght down so one or two men can manuver it out of the truck and into the water.
    Thank for your quick responses and help.

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Is there a particular reason why you want a pontoon boat. A flat bottomed punt, which cvouls be built easily and I would have thought more cheaply may suit your needs just as well

6. Willallison

Another case for looking at something other than pvc pipe:

If my calcs are correct, then in order to support the 800 lbs total weight that you have estimated, you would need 36 ft of pipe (in fresh water). That would still only result in a pontoon which just floats. You would probably need double that in order to allow for weight changes etc. So 72 ft of pipe on your 8ft pontoon, means 9 lenghts of pipe - you still got a raft I'm afraid......

7. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

The only way I can see this working is with a budget increase. Sorry man. And good luck with your kid.

8. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Cat, Will is right; it is very simple to build a small boat. Maybe even easier than a small pontoon. There are many plans to choose from. Here is a link to a boat anyone could build for under $200 US.

http://bateau.com/plans/small/FL11_study.htm

When you’re done with that one, you can move up to this one.

http://www.bateau.com/plans/misc/GP16_study.htm

I’m also working on your pontoon as an exercise for my self. It would help if I had a first name, (besides cat chaser) and a rough idea where you are from to keep in my mind while I’m working on it. ;)

Gary

9. cat chaser

cat chaser Junior Member

Im not realy dead set about the pontoon , but I need something stable enough to stand and toss a cast net out of. ( not fun in a small boat in the dark ...have ended up wet trying) and something stable enough to land 50 or 60 + pounds of fish.... also un-fun in the dark of night. John boats tend to skitter sideways and Ive actually been towed around around the lake in one by some horse of a fish ( I think.... never got to see it). Thanks for all the ideas so far.

10. Willallison

Yep - from what you describe as the boats intended use, I'd definitely go for the punt. Blowing about in the breeze can easily be rectified by adding a couple of small keels to the boat - not only will they aid with directional stability, but they'll help protect the bottom when you drag it up the bank too

11. cat chaser

cat chaser Junior Member

Forgive my ignorance.... please define "punt"

12. Willallison

Well, my definition of a punt is a flat bottomed boat where the sides don't narrow to a point at the bow. - a bit like this

Attached Files:

• punt.jpg
      punt.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  13. Willallison

a bit of the bow seems to have vanished ther somewhere along the way but you get the general idea

14. cat chaser

cat chaser Junior Member

Thanks for all of you responce and sudgestions... I managed to scrounge two 10" x 10' sections of pvc from a local construction site... if Ive done my math right that should be enough to float between 500 and 600 pounds... Im going to start construction this weekend ! Wish me luck!

15. sd1359

sd1359 New Member

fiberglass pontoon

does anyone know where i can get plans for 20 ft. fiberglass pontoons ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.