pontoon boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by cat chaser, May 5, 2002.

1. Abel1955

Abel1955 New Member

Hey Y'all
    I'm New at This,Can Anyone Tell Me If Block Foam 10"x12"x7' Can Hold Two People
    Okay?The Block Foam Is Cut From 2 Sheets Of 2"x4'x8' Plastic Foam From Home Depot
    I've Glued 4 Pieces Togather And Plan on Using Fiberglass Wrap on Them Afterwards.
    I've Also Put One 2" Pvc Pipe on The Top Inside on Both Sides To Help Make It More Rigid. Tell Me What You Think! Thanks.

P.S. I've Also Started Working on A WeedWacker For Something To Push it With But Can't Seem To Find The Right Size Prop. Any Ideals?

abel1955

2. newbie

newbie Guest

Look for irrigation pvc. I'm sure you'll find what you need.

3. Comet1955

Comet1955 Comet1955

Thanks Newbie.
    I've pretty much got everything done on my pontoon boat,and I have started it about 4 months ago. The good news is, it only cost me about $300.00 dollars to builded it and that's including the 34 lbs thrush trolling motor. And man it's no titanic But one thing for sure, "This Boat Is Unsinkable" I will post some pictures soon after I learn how to on this site. So you all be good and will see ya soon

4. SafariMan

SafariMan Africa Vet

Building a pontoon boat...first time

Hello, In a little less than a week my friends and i are building a pontoon boat and are planning to raft down the Niger river from the capital city of Niamey to the border of Benin, a small town called Gaya. It is about a 120 km trip (80 miles), and i was wondering if you had any experience with pontoon boats? The river is a relatively large one with a current flow of about 7mph. So far we plan to use 3 large barrels for each pontoon with a welded steel cone on one end. In between these pontoons i was planning on placing an angle iron frame and wood planks. The dimensions are about 2 and half meters by 3 meters. Thanks for the help! :)

5. JEM

JEM Senior Member

6. abacuss2

abacuss2 New Member

Pontoons

Have you considered usinging fiberglass and truck bed liner as materials to coat a pontoon?

I've not tested this but I am considering using this to coat some closed cell poly foam shaped like a drum.

7. Ptimmiem

Ptimmiem New Member

8. darren2sell1

darren2sell1 New Member

powers pontoon has done already what you are trying to do and it is already patented not to mention that from reading your statements your 3 years behind it in development check out powerspontoon.com

9. darren2sell1

darren2sell1 New Member

powerspontoon.com

:D check out powerspontoon.com you'll see what your looking for

10. toplessjeepchic

toplessjeepchic New Member

compressed air for floatation

Just mentioning, I have used 8 inch dia on a small single person peice of crap that I build eons ago. BUT I first drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the cap of one end, added a valve stem with epoxy, and pumped -if I remember right- about 20-25 pounds of air in each side.
    It ended up holding my pregnant self at about 180 and 2 small kids on it with all of our picnic and fishing stuff with relative stability. Any one who has kids will know how much crap is required to take em out for a couple hours! Then the kids got big (like I TOLD em not to but did they listen?) and I gave the thing to my nephew who continued added another seat to use it with his wife. Just an idea for you to consider...my hubby thought I was nuts but it worked :confused: ...

11. HurleyCove

HurleyCove New Member

Replacement rails for pontoon boat. I'm restoring a pontoon boat and it needs new rails. I've seen some sites that do this but it's almost 1000 1300 for a full set of rails. Anyone have any good ideas?

12. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Hey Y'all
    I'm New at This,Can Anyone Tell Me If Block Foam 10"x12"x7' Can Hold Two People
    Okay?The Block Foam Is Cut From 2 Sheets Of 2"x4'x8' Plastic Foam From Home Depot
    I've Glued 4 Pieces Togather And Plan on Using Fiberglass Wrap on Them Afterwards.
    I've Also Put One 2" Pvc Pipe on The Top Inside on Both Sides To Help Make It More Rigid. Tell Me What You Think! Thanks.

P.S. I've Also Started Working on A WeedWacker For Something To Push it With But Can't Seem To Find The Right Size Prop. Any Ideals?

360 lbs to top of foam for fresh water. (5.8 cu ft x 62.4 lbs/cu.ft. disp) 370 for salt water. (64 lbs disp/cu.ft.)

Try a replacement prop from a trolling motor.

Steve

13. texaswarlord

texaswarlord New Member

Cool story Scott I would love to see a photo.

If you would email me a picture Ill host it on my server and people can click the link to see it. webmaster@texaswarlord.net

I have been interested in something similar and would very much like to see the foamula 1 :D

Thanx Tex

14. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Could you design other boats?

Gary,just wondering if you could design other boats and possibly e-mail them.please replly to this with your answer.

15. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

hey!you could change your name to 'fish chaser' then or 'catfish chaser'!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.