Paint question over epoxy

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by zember311, Jun 13, 2004.

1. zember311

zember311 Junior Member

Hi everyone.

I have been using 635 epoxy over fiberglass on a hull i have been working on. Itis the epoxy from Us Composites.

My wife is going to paint some art work on the hull once it is ready, but what paint will stick to this epoxy?

I can build the boats, yes.

But know NOTHING about paints, hence the reason why I use pigment dye in the epoxy, hehe.

I am under the idea that epoxy is almost close to the plastic family, I know there is a new paint on the market called Fusion, which is directly developed for plastics. would this work?

thanks in advance for your help

kyle

2. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

I dont know if it will work but they do make paints for epoxy...
    Now if the fusion works let me know

3. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

You can get pigmented epoxy (gelcoat) in a wide variety of colours.

4. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

AFAIK the pigmented Epoxy still can't replace gelcoat, as it's sensitive to UV (sunlight). Or have advances been made?

5. Alsek

Alsek New Member

Fusion is made by Krylon and will stick very well to slipper plastics with low surface tension. It may work fine but I would test it first. Epoxy cures quite hard and is easily painted after using a conversion primer. You need to wash any blush for the cured epoxy, sand it, wipe it clean and prime it with an epoxy primer. I use PPG DP-40 which you can ovber coat with anyhting. Interlux also makes an epoxy primer.

6. Phil Locker

Phil Locker Junior Member

Info on one epoxy gelcoat can be found here:
    http://www.wessex-resins.com/proset/gelcoats.html

I hear they're trickier to work with than the vinylester/polyester gelcoats, but can't say from personal experience.

As for painting over epoxy, I do it every week... personally I start with an epoxy primer over a well cured & sanded epoxy surface.

Phil

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.