outboard bracket

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Guest, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello fellow boat builders.
    Im going to attempt to build an outboard bracket for a 150 to 200 hp engine for my 20' b/w. Ive looked at several of the brackets that are out there, and cant seem to put out over $1,000 in one.
    What I have now is an I/O and want to convert to an outboard, one reason is the I/O is seized, second, i want to put a sofa bed against the transom, and free up walking room as the engine cover is rather large and I only had 2 lounge seats.
    As for the bracket i was looking to make it out of diamond plate, fiberglass, and angle iron, I also want it to have a swim platform, but what im asking is, how will diamond plate last in a salt water environment. Will it rust. If it will , what could i use to attach to the angle iron as a plate and platform that will take the pressure of the high output engine. Any help would be appreciated.
    Please email me also with suggestions at acdntpron6@aol.com
    http://www.kerbeck.com/transombracket.jpg

2. Bigtasty

Bigtasty Guest

Better off...

Dig in your pocket and buy a pre-made aluminum outboard bracket like the B-Bracket. You'lll be glad you did.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.