Now for something completely different

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by bartbrn, Apr 22, 2014.

1. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

In the 1980s' not far from where I was at Polytechnic, the Africar was built entirely from ply and timber. For the propulsion system a Citroen GS unit was used a flat four but some prototypes used the 2CV engine. As far as I know it worked pretty well, other problems beset the project. It used the West epoxy system as the main structural adhesive, certainly on the prototypes.

No real problems using timber to get pretty much any shape, though I would be tempted to 'wrap' the shell with a layer of glass just to prevent too much splintering in case of a crash. If you get really fancy with cold moulding you could replicate pretty much most shapes. Another important factor is the suspension loading and system and again the Citroen concepts offer lower point loads on the chassis. 2CV has linked front rear, and the hydraulic system of the bigger brothers and sisters are again relatively light. Having done only 250k+ miles on the latter hydraulics with no serious problems I can attest the reliability. The comfort on long distance is excellent.

2. cplyall

cplyall New Member

Hi Bart,

Think I may be of some assistance... I am a boat designer based in the UK and have a little experience in building with fiberglass and marine ply. I also have a 1970 Marcos GT (unfortunately in this circumstance a steel chassis!) so if I can be of any help, please feel free to message me directly. If you have facebook, there is a wealth of knowledge to be found on the owners page. Lots of people willing to help and I know there are some wooden chassis owners on there too https://www.facebook.com/groups/8026705918/.
    Would be interested to see any of your Marcos factory pics!

Chris

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.